Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 240

53 Cavalier, DavidPackard, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 Packard Exhaust Manifold Fix??
Just popping in
Just popping in

Gary5
See User information
Hello everyone, this is my first Post! I've recently purchased a 51 packard 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan and I'm in the process of fixing a few things. I have an exhaust leak from right above where the 2 manifolds join. See Pictures. It looks pretty bad. Can this be repaired? If so, How and with what? If not, How can I get those rusy old manifolds off of the block without breaking bolts? And, where would I get new / used ones?

Thanks for you help.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.04 KB)
4702_500391d50660e.jpg 519X389 px

jpg  (21.01 KB)
4702_500391e31816e.jpg 432X324 px

jpg  (26.97 KB)
4702_500391f1519c0.jpg 432X324 px

Posted on: 2012/7/15 23:03
 Top  Print   

Re: 51 Packard Exhaust Manifold Fix??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Gary,
to PackardInfo.

That manifold is NASTY! Suggest your best course of action is to find a mated and sealed intake/exhaust manifold pair and replace. Replacing only the exhaust manifold could be tricky trying to align both pieces especially if either one has been surfaced at some stage. The matter of whether things break probably goes into the category of luck because 60 years of heating and cooling doesn't help manifold studs at all. Someone may be able to suggest good penetrating or soaking solutions which could help.

On a lighter note, I invite you to include your '51 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/7/16 1:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Gary, and welcome to packardinfo. Your intake manifold does look pretty nasty indeed. Soak the nuts holding the manifolds on the block for a day or two with your favorite penetrating oil before removing, but the studs and nuts are usually in good shape and won't break. (Hope you have good luck like I have had in the past)
There are 2 nuts near the center of the manifold that hold it to the block, they are a pain to reach, but the others are pretty easy to remove.
My intake manifold was also rotted similar to yours. 2bbl 327 or 288 intakes are cheap and plentiful. You might try ross or flackmaster for a good used example. Or post a wanted add in the forsale forum here.
IF the heat deflector in the ex manifold is stuck or also corroded, you might want to get both in/ex manifolds.

You then can take both (new) manifolds to a machine shop and have them mill the mating surfaces true so everything seals nicely afterwards.

Oh, the three bolts holding the two manifolds together may/will be worse for wear. Soak them liberally, and be prepared that they give you trouble. Removing the two manifolds as a unit is usually an easy job though.
Best regards, and glad to have you on the forum.
Mike

Posted on: 2012/7/16 6:15
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had good luck with a 50/50 solution of Acetone and ATF, but let it soak in for a couple of days.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 8:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've seen that kind of manifold damage before on engines that sat out in the weather unprotected and w/o an air filter or carburetor cover. Rain water collects in the intake manifold and a few freeze-thaw cycles completes the damage. I wonder if that's what happened in this case.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I second Randy's motion of a 50/50 acetone and ATF solution. If you can find one, buy a chemical resistant squirt bottle. It has worked very well for me.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 11:48
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Where in BC are you located?

I have a good used manifold for a 327 engine that will work on your 51.
$40 plus shipping.

Brian

Posted on: 2012/7/17 1:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Gary5
See User information
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll be working on putting new manifolds on over the next few months when I find the time. I'll post on the progress.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 8:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved