Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'51 Won't stay running
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Took the '51 200 out last weekend. Started to run rough (sputter/stall). Then it just quit. Now I can re-start it, but it will only run about 10-15 seconds, then quit again. It doesn't matter if it idles, or if I rev it.

Took the carb apart last year, cleaned it and installed a new carb kit. It has been running fine up until now.

Thinking it may be the fuel pump, just filling the bowl then quitting. Or maybe the electric choke is malfunctioning. Vacuum problem?

Any ideas?

Posted on: 2012/9/18 21:27
 Top  Print   

Re: '51 Won't stay running
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sounds like the classic clogged fuel filter/clogged fuel line that lets just a little by as it sits a minute.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 6:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Willis---you need to start your own/new thread!

Posted on: 2012/9/19 8:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agree with Ross, having gone trough fuel system nightmares on my car.

Remember if you have crud in your fuel filter, that means there is even more lurking in the tank. Best to drop the tank and clean in out. My car would idle all day long in the garage, but as soon as the car started to move and fuel sloshed around in the tank, it would cause crud to get sucked up and clog the filter.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 10:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
The tank was cleaned out last year when I cleaned the carb, and it has a new fuel filter.

The problem happens at idle and at high RPMs.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 8:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I suggest that you check the mechanical fuel pump for pressure and volume.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/20 9:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I certainly agree with JW, check the pump volume and pressure. But I see you said the tank was "cleaned", no mention of having it coated. If it was simply cleaned and the protective terne plate coating has failed, it can rapidly re-rust.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
The good thing about those glass bowl fuel filters is that you can see into them. When she cuts out, is the bowl empty? If it is, then it's a fuel issue. If the bowl is full, that would suggest there's gas getting into the engine, so you might need to look elsewhere, especially given the work you did last year.

I'd look to an electrical issue, probably spark. Things like the distributor and the coil, they could account for sudden death. Easy: Basic tune up things, like proper point setting, timing, condenser. Did you check them? Harder: Distributor things like the weights and springs inside. Has the coil been replaced? And the distributor, is it new, original or rebuilt?

Lastly, and this is a long shot...you have the Ultramatic? Does she die when starting off or when you start to slow down..when the trans would shift? And does High RPM's=torque converter lock up time?

Posted on: 2012/9/20 20:17
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
The fuel bowl is full when it dies. All of the electrical components are original, so it could very well be a gremlin in there. I've been kind of expecting something like that to happen sooner or later.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Did you check the fuel pump output? This check will either confirm a problem or eliminate it from your running problem. If not the fuel pump then it sounds as if the carburetor is running out of gas for some reason. Check the pump and go on from there. We are all interested as to what the problem is.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/21 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved