Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 158

37Blanche, Don B, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Whistle tube clogged
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I had the fuel tank for my 1947 Clipper resealed. The sealant clogged my whistle tube, so now it is very difficult to fill the tank. I was able to clear the top of the tube where it joins the filler neck, but I can't get a wire down the tube to clear the whistle and the bottom of the tube. I am considering cutting the tube near the filler neck near the top, drilling a new hole on the side of the tank toward the top, and installing a new tube which will connect to the old filler tube near the filler neck. If someone has a better idea, I would sure like to hear it.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 6:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Whistle tube clogged
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Something else screwed up by people who just don't understand.
I had to explain why I wanted a ground wire soldered to the tank. They didn't realize their material didn't allow ground so that the fuel gauge wouldn't function. They do this for a living??

Posted on: 2012/9/26 8:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know how much luck you will have since it is sealer causing the issue but a suggestion for clearing the whistle using air is in tech bulletin 50T-58 available in the literature section. There is another bulletin 51T-17 which tells how to remove the whistle by unsoldering a part of the vent tube. Not sure exactly where the thing is located unless it's the whole round piece but it must be fairly easily accessible so you can remove and clean it.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 8:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I had the same problem with my 2259-I tried to clear with all kinds of solvents and using a piece of speedo cable on an drill (this was done after removing the tank) I corrected the problem by drilling a 3/16 hole through the top of the vent housing and then soldering a penney over the hole. worked great and can now fill the tank with out gas coming back out the filler tube-no whisle however.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 9:09

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Had this same problem and I did the same as Dell, small hole in whistle, poke a wire thru to clean out sealer, and J-B Weld a penny over hole.

Only problem is you get to remove the tank again.

John

Posted on: 2012/9/26 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Sometimes I think fuel tank sealer causes more problems than it cures. I did the "ultimate" restoration on a tank from another car. After tank removal, cleaning, painting, sealing, and installation I figured I had the ultimate tank. However the sealant totally plugged the filter on the fuel pickup tube and the car would not run. Rather than cutting the tank apart to fix it I installed an old stock tank that was not sealed. The car has been running fine ever since. The product I got from Eastwood had NO mention of possibly clogging things with sealer. That's the second time I got something from Eastwood (without any warnings or instructions) that caused damage.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 9:45
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I had my tank done at a place that does the RENU process on it. Which is a baked on epoxy coating, which dries hard like powdercoat instead of rubbery like the Eastwood stuff. They said they blow air through all the tubing after coating is applied, but before it is baked to prevent those kind of clogs and them having to perform redos on it. I double checked it when I got, and before I reinstalled the tank, all was good. Then even installed a ground wire for me through the flange of the tank. Pricey yes, but guaranteed for life at anyplace in the USA that does RENU.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 12:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
Thank you. I will remove the tank and drill the hole as you suggest.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 13:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved