Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

charlieshot, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R 10 Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Anyone know what years did Packard use the R 10 overdrive ? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/1/21 20:14
 Top  Print   

Re: R 10 Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From a previous discussion, according to one of our more knowledgeable members it doesn't appear they ever did use the R10.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=93394#forumpost93394

The R11 basic design but in a slightly different case to accommodate the different lockout switch was apparently still used 51-4. Since the 55-6 trans was new and no longer made by Packard, I'd like to know what else changed and if OD was still B-W & if so, the version used in 55-6.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
What years were each one used ?

Posted on: 2013/1/22 2:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard is saying R10 wasn't used by Packard. So it's R6, R9 & R11.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 2:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Near as I can document, believe the usage was:

R6 in 1939
R9 from 1940 - mid 1948
R11 from mid 1948 - 1954
Possibly the R12 in 55-6. That OD was available from around 52-3 thru early 60's but have no documentation to say Packard used it.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 9:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Sorry, I meant to say R6 , R9, and R 11 -Thanks - Good to know !

Posted on: 2013/1/22 11:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
My 55 Deluxe has the R11.
One trait BW overdrives have is their dislike for sitting nose down for an extended period of time. Shortly after I got the car I jacked up the back to remove the very noisy rear end. It sat that way for several weeks while a replacement was located. The new one was installed and my son drove it about 35 miles on the freeway without a problem and pulled into a parking slot. Backing out didn't. He drove the car home and determined that;

A: We had completely lost reverse.
B: I had completely forgotten a similar issue 55 years ago involving my father and a 49 Lincoln.

We removed the Trans. And found the planetary gears completely defanged. The sun and ring gears were slightly worn but the planetaries were smooth. The problem, it seems, is the separate oil fill for the OD and trans. If it sits nose down for an extended time, the OD oil leaks in to the trans. but doesn't leak back in time when level. This accomplishes two things for you. It burns up the OD and it overfills the transmission, blows the front seal and soaks the clutch. The replacement parts came from a 66 Mercury, but using the longer output shaft and housing from the Packard. The rear end is from an automatic. It's a great road car but the speedometer is about 7 MPH slow and it eats up clutches.
Happy packarding, Tom

Posted on: 2013/1/27 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Tom is correct in that the oil in the overdrive section has a higher fill level and seeps into the front of the trans within a few days. If parked downhill this could severely deplete the oil level the OD Section. It is also true that it takes a reasonable driving distance for the oil fron the front to get to the back section to replenish the OD level, particularly with thick oil and flat running. The front gearbox oil is thrown up onto a rail cast into the side of the box and makes its way to the rear of the box. However this usually only occurs reliably in the lower gear ratios and if you are using SAE 140 grade oil it will not throw much up until the oil heats up.
Personally I deliberately run my gearbox level overfull and it works. I always remove the front plug and, if oil flows out as it should, I immediately replace the filler plug. I then remove the OD section filler plug and fill until oil overflows and replace the plug immediately.
I know that I am running the front gearbox section overfull but it will have no ill effect and provides a measure of drought proofing to the OD section of the gearbox. I use a GL 90 mild EP Trans oil and have never had a problem, even towing heavy car trailers on 90-100F days. I always check the od level before a big trip and it takes 10 minutes. The R6 in my 38 Richards Six cost me $1 but the gearboxes are much more expensive now and must be taken care of. Oil is cheap OD gearboxes are not. PT

Posted on: 2013/1/27 18:48
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved