Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 226

Don B, JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Amazing Packard Photos
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Bitchin!

Posted on: 2013/2/6 18:00
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Gator, you are joking, right?

No stock Packard Twelve with factory body ever got anywhere near 120 MPH.

Absolutely not OD!...downhill with a good strong tailwind with that car full of Vanderbilts, Duponts, Rockefellers, Morgans and Carnegies all watchin' instead of ridin'...no wonder they topped 6000 pounds...

In all seriousness,I have no idea what kind of speed a car like a '34 1104 could achieve but I ran across a couple of articles stating that Packard provided a "modest" top speed of 85 MPH for the majority of their full bodied cars built in the early to mid 30's however it was reported that speeds of 100 MPH and over could be achieved with all of them.

Then there is this interesting tid-bit of information that I ran across...

Packard's engine geniuses were Connelius Van Ranst, and Col. Jesse Vincent. Vincent lived on Windmill Pointe Drive, in Grosse Pointe Park, Mich., and had a boatwell as part of his house. Packard engines for PT boats were tested from his pier, in the Detroit river during WW II. Packard built a prototype front drive car in 1930, using the V12 engine that saw production starting in 1932. Testing of the car on Packard's Utica Mich. test track saw 120 MPH speeds. Van Ranst had the engine detuned for producton.

Detuned for production...Hmmmmmmm...

Posted on: 2013/2/7 7:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard built a prototype front drive car in 1930, using the V12 engine that saw production starting in 1932.

The Twin Six that was introduced in 1932 was a very different engine than the prototype of 1930 which was a much smaller displacement and significantly lower horsepower. The chapter in the Kimes-edited book has a pretty good summary of the history of it's evolution.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 9:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ronaldg
See User information
I agree with all the others that the pictures were gorgeous just a couple things though the 1942 convertible was suppost to b e a 120 but it had no 120 emplem no chrome "spats " on rear fenders and it had a senior front bumper. The 1941 110 sedan shown i2 door sedan and I hate the word but a rare car. I have a 1940 110 2 door sedan awaiting for me to do. ALL in ALL GREAT PIctures one ald all

Posted on: 2013/2/12 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, yes,yes, very amazing and entertaining pictures. Sadly, most were of restored cars, unavoidable in most cases, ..however..many of the restorations have been embellished with options and colours (sorry,colors!) which they probably never left the Packard Production Plant with ( hate the word "factory" which implies a cage egg production concept). I have a number of reasonably original cars on the road and they do not compare with restored examples in terms of "bling". I loved every one of the pictures none the less. My favourite was the 37 Lalique of the kneeling nude.......I shall contemplate sending it to a few R-R friends espousing the main difference between the lightly clad "Spirit of Ecstacy" and the Lalique nude as a "with Packard - nothing is hidden" quip. Best regards and thanks for the pictures, Peter Toet

Posted on: 2013/2/13 1:55
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved