Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rebuilding the antenna?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The antenna in my car does not go up or down, but it seems like the motor is working since it grinds.

I'm thinking (based on what I have been told) that the plastic strip that runs the antenna up and down is separated from the tip.

Is this possible, and--if so--is there a workable fix?

Alternately, is there a simple way to get the antenna fully retracted? It sticks up about a foot or so.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 1:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Rebuilding the antenna?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The plastic inside of the unit becomes hard and brittle over the years hence it breaks. There are two things that need to be overcome.

1. find a suitable replacement for the plastic

2. find a way to remove the plastic from the antenna, and
attaching the replacement material to it.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 8:26
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
If memory serves, it was nylon....FWIW....

Any ideas or rebuilders out there?

Posted on: 2013/3/10 17:00
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Any ideas or rebuilders out there?

With Antenna Masters now out of the picture (and he was slow but GOOD) the only rebuilder that I know of is Sandy Chirco (Tuscon Packard). I know of a few who have had Sandy do their antennas and I've heard good reports. But NOT inexpensive, especially if you need new masts and motor work.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
An idea: Paul in Las Vegas replaced the twin power antennas on the rear fenders of his 1956 Exec with some new Ford units. Those had to be mounted at an angle, of course. There are probably more than one aftermarket replacement power antenna that can be mounted straight up. After all, the antenna performs a simple electrical function, so from a functional point of view, anything that is close in looks should work.

Unfortunately, I don't have a specific example, but some googling around the web should pop something up.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/3/10 17:22
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have searched high and low for anyone having something similar to the oddly shaped nylon strip that was used in the front antennas. Stiffer round you can find all over but the one needed is sort of a flattened oval shape yet still flexible. Don't know if Sandy changes that part or just what he uses. Maybe he had a run made of the special shape. The dual rears use the round but again need fairly flexible.

12v aftermarket electric antennas are easily available but not 6v. AntennaX.com is one place worth looking if you want aftermarket. Biggest issue with new is mount and masts do not look the same as Packard used. While the place mentioned ships several angled fender pieces to pick and choose from, still not quite right as it exits the fender. It might be possible to incorporate the Packard bakelite and chrome nut in some fashion but would take some experimentation. Most likely it would take a special dual threaded insert piece for the nut or possible modification somewhere else along the line. The aftermarket electric antennas I have use a smaller diameter nut and are probably metric.

The mast sections will not have the tapered visible top on each extension so another difference. Most modern or aftermarket type antennas are just telescoping round tubes with a slight rounded over top end and will retract to be almost flush to the top of fender mount.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 18:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It could be that the tensioner that drive the shaft up and down just needs to be adjusted. That was the problem with mine.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 10:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I have pep boys after market ,antennas, on the rear of my 400,, they go down flush with fender,,

I am sure these would work on the front,,,,i would perfer, flush,,myself,,not, org,,

But, no one,,will,,break it off,,

Posted on: 2013/3/11 10:34
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:04
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved