Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 136 137 138 (139) 140 141 142 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
yes it will be louder i'm sure...but i'm going to have dual exhuast with magnaflows on it anyways. so it wont be as quiet as it was from Packard i'm sure. i want to beable to hear the motor work i had done.

Hank

Hank, what happened?? Stainless steel bling, paper filters, now contemplated exhaust work. Are you the same guy that wanted to keep everything absolutely original when you first started or has your body been taken over by aliens.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i lost that when the block wasn't original anymore, kinda sucked the motovation for that right outa me. funny how things change huh?

it wasn't originally a 374...but it is now. i did at least make sure the block was the correct date code still...55, just from a 400. the trans is the correct 55 housing as well, not 56.

i think the only thing really noticable is the stainless and probably what it will sound like, other then that it'll be as close as i can get it. oh and maybe the petronix, but i did turn the coil over so you couldn't see the sticker.

contemplating making my own fuel pump inlet hose....cause 30 bucks for the one with the correct crimped ends on it isn't sounding too pleasing right now. 500 a month to daycare and nursing school on top of that....that'll suck the motovation right outa you to be original too. i still want to work on my car or i'll go nuts.

still gonna be original inside the interior and the paint job, etc.

i think this is probably as extreme as it will get right here.

probably why you and a handful of others are the only ones still around on this blog. which i do appreciate those that still chime in. cause i can get pretty lost sometimes.

sometimes it upsets me that its not 100% authentic...but i gotta do what i can to keep this thing moving and to not loose motovation or it will just sit there and rot and be all for not.

i know your just razzin me though.

edit: crap...now i depressed myself.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:46
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
i know your just razzin me though.

Who, Me!! Would I even though done with dignity have installed a home made AC, electric aftermarket wipers, headlight relays, GM headlight switch, one of a kind brakes and other things I can't even remember do something like that?

PS. The crowning and most expensive glory is Dwight's house carpet replacement.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bob 2.8
See User information
Hang in there, the fuel line can be changed anytime.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yup thats true! thanks for chiming in!

i think its getting very close to time to start this beast.

things i have done:

i have oil in her

i have the coil hooked up and the dizzy is loose to set timing.

air filter in place

battery and cables ready (only bought a 30" for the negative cable....there is no length specification in the packard literature for the starter cable i could find)

fire exstinguisher

things i need to do:

need to prime the carb

need to get a temp. rubber fuel line to a gas can

need to figure out where the black wire from the dizzy should go. says ignition wire on the instructions...but i don't have that yet....sooooo......i'm confused.

need to mount the radiator and fill her up

things i don't know if i need to do or not:

mount the generator?

fill up the powersteering pump with fluid?

fill the trans with fluid or just leave it in P or N and just start the motor sans fluid?

anything else i'm missing? there is no exhaust only headers as of now. shouldn't hurt i wouldnt' think.

Hank

Posted on: 2013/4/1 15:29
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Mount your generator so you can have a belt to turn your water pump. Fill the PS pump and the Ultra--neither one will enjoy running dry. See the manual for how to fill the Ultra. The "ignition" wire needs to be jumpered to the neg terminal of your battery, if you are still running pos ground. Have fun.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Hank:

I think that if you want to make some modifications, it's clearly your right to do so, especially after all of the work that you have put into this car. It seems to me that your ultimate goal is to have a beautiful car that you can drive and enjoy, not a damned trailer queen that you cart from one show to another with the goal of being able to sell it at Barrett-Jackson for six figures! You have to like these cars, which you obviously do. The stuff that you are doing that isn't 100% original is pretty small potatoes in the overall scheme of things. My car doesn't have the original material upholstery, but it still looks fine and nobody who sees it seems to care anyway. I think reading your blog from the beginning to now makes me happy to know there are young folks like yourself who care enough to put the time and effort and money into a 57-year-old car from a now-extinct manufacturer. I am in awe of all you have done and I really look forward to watching your progress in the future.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 18:00
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for the great info Ross! as always! i was thinking to negative of battery (pos ground here), but i didn't want to blow things up. lol!

Mr. Bumble thanks for the encouragement! keeps me going!

now that i'm on the subject of the fuel inlet hose....and for how much it costs. i thought about doing this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edd-820250

mated with this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-29398/media/images

comes out to the same price and its stainless braided line that has covers for the hose clamps that make it look like its screwed on.

idk....don't really need braided line since its on the suction side of the pump, but it would go along with my stainless theme.

just doing it cheap will only be about 10 bucks less and not look as nice. pricing at the local auto store puts me in the 15 dollar range for all the parts. parts from summit with shipping is 27. or a factory crimped is 25-27.

i don't want it to look too hot rodded out like its some chevy though.....so maybe just regular rubber is best.....idk....mulling it over.

Hank

Posted on: 2013/4/1 22:00
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
anyone know where i can get a new brass drain plug for the bottom of the fuel pump? the hex head on mine is a bit messy.

its 5/16 long by 5/16 wide.

thought about using a tappered thread so i dont' have to us a gasket. or a drain like on a radiator. but i've never been good with NPT sizes....thread size would be 5/16...so i would need a smaller fraction for the NPT tappered thread to go in the hole.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 10:15
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Most any plumbing supply store should have NPT brass plugs. Can't say they'd be hex-headed though, more likely square-headed.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 10:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 136 137 138 (139) 140 141 142 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved