Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

Oldcaddies , Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: This car is killing me!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JD, I guess you could consider the 23rd series as FIVE car lines, excluding the few 6-cylinder offerings:

Eight - 120" wb
DeLuxe Eight - 120" wb
Super Eight - 127" wb
Super DeLuxe Eight - 127" and 141" wb
Custom 8 - 127" wb

Posted on: 2013/4/2 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's a good photo of a 23rd Series Super Eight grill. It appears to me to be the same size as the Custom/Super Deluxe grill. I was just questioning the idea that the Super had a smaller grill since it made no sense considering the surrounding 127" sheet metal.

Click to see original Image in a new window

So... basically you could dress up a 23rd series Super to look [externally] like a Custom or a Super Deluxe with just a trim change. Of course in the case of trying to pass it off as a Custom you'd have to drop in a 356 and spend a fortune on interior changes. But for a buyer who is not familiar with the 23rd series....

Posted on: 2013/4/2 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Having owned a 50 Super for 41 years......I can definitely say that the 23d series Super, Super deluxe, and Custom all shared front end sheet metal. The grill is the same size as the Custom but with an internal die change to accommodate the the broad horizontal bars. The rest of the grill bars have attachment provisions on their bottom surface for the eggcrate, but the holes were not drilled.

The confusion arises in that the 22nd series Super was on the 120" wheelbase, but the 23d series Super and Super Deluxe were on the 127.

The pictured convertible in this thread is for certain a Super Deluxe which gives it a decided cornering advantage over the (more) nose heavy Custom.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Laferriere
See User information
I am heading out to look at this car next week. Other than the non-woodgrain dash, what else do you see worth mentioning? Correct, incorrect?

Posted on: 2013/4/11 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, I'd have to check Bob Neal's book but as I recall the 23rd series has a short-lived and not very popular option of a non-wood grained dash, I believe the option was gray or silver. In any case the details and a picture are in the book.

PS - just checked Neal's book, the gray painted dash option was in the 22nd series and discontinued for the 23rd series. It was only offered in the Eight DeLuxe and Super Eight series.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
A painted dash was standard on the convertibles.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 10:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved