Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Does my '56 Clipper needs an oil filter?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
When I bought my '56 Clipper, about 5 years ago, it did not have an oil filter. Attached is a picture of the engine compartment. I'm the second owner of the car, and I was told the car never had one because it was considered an "extra" when the car was originally purchased. Is there any truth to that?

Aside from that question, I'd like to install an oil filter. Can someone direct me to some "step-by-step" instructions for installing an oil filter canister, hoses, etc.? I would also appreciate help with locating an oil filter canister and filter to purchase.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.57 KB)
1656_51775a8c3fc6c.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/4/23 23:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Does my '56 Clipper needs an oil filter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
According to the 1956 Data Book and 1955-56 Parts Book, all models should have an oil filter, so don't know why your car would not have one.

Check with Mike Dulinski for a used one.

Mike Dulinski contact info

Posted on: 2013/4/24 0:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
As you can clearly see in this photo of a 1956 Packard Executive engine -- similar to all engine configurations in 1956 -- the oil filter is visible to the right of the oil filler/cap in front of the carburator. I cannot imagine any engine in a modern (i.e. post 1930s) being offered without an oil filter. I would be curious to know what is in the spot of where the oil filter should be.

Attach file:

jpg  (169.14 KB)
5003_5177da264d491.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/4/24 8:12
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the 56 Build Codeshttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/56th_Series_RPO_Codes.pdf the oil filter (code OF) was optional on all Clippers and standard on Packards. That seems to agree with the 56 Fact & Data Bookhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/56_FactBook.pdf which shows the various models and what comes as standard on them. All the Packard models list an oil filter but none of the Clippers.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One of the two bolts that retains the filter housing to the driver's side cylinder head is the one that shows in your photo holding the battery ground cable. The other is adjacent to it. The filter feed is from the front of the cylinder head just below the filter, and the return line goes to a fitting near the oil filler tube. Take a close look and those locations should become apparent.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Looks like there is nothing in the space where the oil filter goes. Here is a photo of the oil filter installed on my 55 Clipper. 1956 Clippers should be the same. Mike Dulinski should have filter assembly for you.

(o{}o)

Photo was taken before the water pump and its manifold were installed.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.81 KB)
565_5177e3f3e8701.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2013/4/24 8:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Worthless

Posted on: 2013/4/24 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tim, I would not go so far as to say they are worthless. They do have some value in filtering the oil. Granted, not as effective as a full-flow type filter, but still do some filtering. It would seem that Packard with all of its engine building experience would have designed the new V-8 to have a full-flow oil filter.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/24 10:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2013/4/24 10:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
At the risk of getting a bit off topic, what's the benefit for adding an oil filter?

Posted on: 2013/4/24 11:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved