Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 163

Don B, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 37 »

Re: Randy Berger's 1956 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hey, nice picture of your feet. I see you wear black shoes too!

Posted on: 2008/8/29 18:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
AND socks!

Posted on: 2008/8/29 19:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I dont think I have ever seen Randy (both in pictures and in person) in anything other than black! I think thats his signature!

Posted on: 2008/8/29 20:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RB. U mite want to consider pop-rivets rather than spot welding. Use steel pop rivets. Be careful to shield the radiator core from drill bits when drilling. Spot welds are ok for quick production or some metal finishing areas but not as desireable for strength nor holding up to vibration. Spot welds or any weld is very poor endurance against vibration compared to rivets.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Randy has been know to wear black on occasion. I little mig weld in the holes would be easier. I know that Randy has access to a mig welder at the secret Bat Cave he is using for his new car which happens to be black I see a trend here.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 21:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Randy,

Good to see you're putting Al to work on the Caribbean.

And Al,

Good to see you're getting your hands dirty on a Packard.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 22:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure if I can agree with rivet being stronger that a good quality weld. A rivet is a mechanical connector that holds the two peices in place with a clamping force from the deformed rivet head/tail. Enough vibration can causes the defromed portion to loosed over the years. This is one of the reasons why they are going back and replacing all the rivets on the Golden Gate bridge with bolts. They can periodically recheck the bolts, and tighten as needed. Also the reason why alot of newern big-iron building I-beams are now bolted together rather then riveted like they used to be. Spot welds are done with an electical current through a clamping style welder. This fuses the two pieces together with both the electical current and the clamping force. The actual spot weld is stronger than the surrounding metal as it's now two (or more) layers fused into one. Hence why they are a pain in the butt to seperate.

But just my opinion, your results may vary.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 22:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
A minor success today vs yesterday. I installed a NOS distributor yesterday with points, rotor,cap and condenser already mounted. I've had this for some years just sitting on the shelf. The engine had a minor cough just once and we determined it had no spark. I pulled the dist and checked the points and regapped them to a snug .016. Using an ohmeter I checked that I was breaking/making continuity. When on the cam lobe it read infinity. When on the flat it read about .114? It should have read .000. I took a point file and gave it about a dozen good swipes. Now it reads .000. The points had oxidized. No shame for fifty plus year old points.
Just to make sure, I pulled the plugs and cranked it over to bring #1 up on compression. The shop manual says to bring pointer to about 6 degrees before TDC and install dist. This is the 55 portion of the shop manual. Should I have pointer on 10 degrees before TDC? Hmm? I dropped the dist in and double checked the one o'clock position. Installed the plugs and wires - made sure the oil pressure wire and temp wire were connected and went home for dinner.
Today with mechanic Barry's help I turned the key and pumped the accelerator. The engine cranked over and "Houston, we have ignition"!! I had the carbs set up as high as the screw would permit and it ran up to 2 grand on the tach. We backed it down to about 1700 and ran it in for a little over 20 minutes. It sounds good. I shut it down and checked the oil. It is right on the full mark. The tranny showed low so I added two quarts to it making a total of 11. The temp gauge never reached the halfway mark with an old rad in place. The four-core rad has a leak and I will take it up to the rad shop tomorrow. I can run through the gears tomorrow and verify the tranny engages. Then I can remove my faux left fender and mount the real one in place. Aah, I love it when a plan comes together.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 17:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Randy,

Great to hear fire-up went well.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 18:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The vent windows and frame looked pretty shabby compared to the rest of the car so I determined to rectify that.
First step in refurbishing the vent wings is to remove the vent wing assembly or frame:
A Disconnect and remove the side windows from each door and store them safely. I always reinstall the washers and spring clips in their respective locations so I don't lose them.
B. Remove the screws referenced as 30.40754 from the inner
panel and frame. Remove the lower divisor bar screw and
the two screws holding the vent wing frame to the door.
C. Maneuver the assembly up and out of the door.
I had to tilt the frame to bring the divisor bar up and
out first because I had to turn the frame 90 degrees to
get clearance to lift it out of the door. You can see the
extra two pieces that are attached to each frame.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.79 KB)
23_490fe8634e040.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/11/4 1:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 37 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved