Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

Flybiker18, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

6 Volt to 12 Volt Conversion for 1939 Super 8
Just popping in
Just popping in

39limo
See User information
Hi, Has anyone have info on changing a 1939 Super 8 to 12 volts? What parts do I need and where can I get them?

Attach file:

jpg  (27.89 KB)
937_48badefd016e6.jpg 600X401 px

Posted on: 2008/8/31 13:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 Volt to 12 Volt Conversion for 1939 Super 8
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael Smith
See User information
Welcome look in post war forums for a special item when converting to 12 volts.Also add your car to the owner registry when you get a chance.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 13:56
Michael 47clipper"6" good luck rather than good management!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just curious, why ruin the authenticity of a perfectly fine bona-fide Full Classic by converting to 12 volts? Other than a wife who refuses to ride in a non-AC car, there really isn't a good reason in my view.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 14:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Welcome aboard 39limo. See you have added your limo to the Owner Registry, thanks for that.
and

Posted on: 2008/8/31 15:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
As said above why go to 12 volts. Looks like you will have enough to do in regular restoration. So it cranks a bit slow when starting. Only problem with 6 volt is if the car has been sitting awhile, it is better to have an electric fuel pump or just before cold starting put a bit of gasoline into the carburetor. Once warmed up will start fine. I use 6 volt Optima batteries and have an old tungar charger if needed to keep them charged. For a modern hidden radio you can get a converter. It actually sounds and looks great as the 6 volt system slowly cranks a large 8 or 12 cylinder up to speed to start, kind of like an old prop airplane.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
everybody has there reasons. six volt systems sound cool, and are nice for being authentic, but if you want to add accessories or what not, six volt can be a hinderance.

you will need an alternator, a 12v coil, all new bulbs, and either new guages or a resistor to knock it back down. since a 12v conversion also means switching from pos+ ground to neg- ground, youll need to switch some polarities and stuff.

im not completely familiar with all the necissary steps, and im sure ive missed something, but that is the general idea.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 21:20
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
That is a very fine car you have there. I have a 1703 touring sedan (have been working on it this weekend). I have not met many fellow 39 Super 8 owners.

How long have you had the car? What are your plans for the car? Is it presently drivable?

As for the conversion from 6 to 12 volts, some individuals have given excellent advice already. There are some particular challenges with this proposition. One challenge is the non sealed flexbeam headlamp assemblies. You would have to adapt 12v bulbs somehow. The next concern I would personally have is overpowering the starter. This starter utilizes a single bolt retaining system and a fairly fragile centrifugal starter Bendex. You also have the heater blower motor and defroster (if equipped) blower motor to contend with.

With proper equipment such as appropriate gauge battery cables, a good wiring harness with clean connections, and in my opinion, an Optima battery you should (and I currently) have no troubles at all.

There is my two cents. I hope to hear more about your car.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2008/8/31 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
39super8

i just couldnt remember the rest

Posted on: 2008/8/31 21:30
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
One challenge is the non sealed flexbeam headlamp assemblies. You would have to adapt 12v bulbs somehow.

Keep watching my Speedster project blog for more on this, as I'm doing exactly that to my 1925 headlights, using modern halogen bulbs.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Just curious, why ruin the authenticity of a perfectly fine bona-fide Full Classic by converting to 12 volts? Other than a wife who refuses to ride in a non-AC car, there really isn't a good reason in my view.

I have to agree. Except for adding A/C to the car there is little reason to convert. Drive my 51 everyday on 6 volts without problem.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 1:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved