Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Steering Column Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Hi Guys,

Attempting to remove my steering column. My initial take on this was to undo the cinch bolt on the sleeve near the steering box, unbolt from the underdash, unattach the shift linkage and pull on the still attached steering wheel.

Silly me.

With no success, my searches began. Is it true that you have to bring entire steering box with it? Holy crap! I don't get it.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 19:48
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Steering Column Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You have to pull the wheel from the steering shaft. Then the rest of the column will slide up over the shaft.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 19:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember Joe Santana had some issues with his 40 so maybe there is a clearance reason why it's being difficult. I can't speak directly to the 41 but expect the 47 arrangement may be very similar. On that year at the top of column where the upper steering shaft bearing is located, there a retaining ring that will prevent the column from lifting. The ring is slightly recessed into the top of bearing so push the bearing or column down slightly and look very carefully at the shaft and bearing. See if there is a wedge like ring around the shaft resting inside. Once that ring was off my column lifted straight up -- although it had to be rotated and maneuvered to get the gearshift levers thru the floor opening.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 19:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Rich, => this is how it works.

Quote:
I remember Joe Santana had some issues ...

Come => this way to meet Joe's issues head-on.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 5:23
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Ah yes, I remember it well.
The rolled-roast steering gear.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Thanks guys!

I did look at the photos and messages from the links prior to my original message. I think what I wasn't aware of is the inner and outer sleeve design, if I now undertand it. If I can gather a steering wheel puller, which I think I can, I'll give it another shot today.

I can't tell you how much dirt, grime, mud, potentially undercoat, that I've scraped off the car - and I'm not close to done. It's amazing, and I'm convinced at least the front of the car was in mud at some point. The front spring towers have a recess on the top of the frame. They were completely filled in fine cake dirt, dried like mud. Most steering and suspension pieces are entirely coated with only "range of motion" clearance. Amazingly there is very little rust on the entire car.

Wish me luck!
Rich

Posted on: 2013/5/27 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Magic happened! Thanks guys!

A) Remove pinch bolt at steering box
B) Unhook shift linkage
C) Unscrew cover at floor board
D) Remove Steering wheel with puller
E) Remove retainer
F) Unbolt column from dash
G) Remove unit

My steering column might look darker in appearance than most of the ones I seen in photos. I kind of like it, but need a match. Seems to have a hint of metallic in it, at least to me.

Regards and thanks again!
Rich

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved