Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pedals
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
Hi all, I have been struggling with trying to figure out how to install and where to install a pair of the pedal "seals" that go on the arms. This is for my 1939 110 4dr. Do they go on the top or bottom side of the floor board, and what will hold them in place, There is a lot of noise and air that comes in through the gaps and I would like to make it nicer. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 7:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Pedals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming (and I know that's risky) they are like the later pedal seals, they are installed on the pedal arm below the floorboard so they seal the openings when the pedals are in the relaxed position.

Attach file:

jpg  (156.27 KB)
177_51c309abddf36.jpg 1173X991 px

Posted on: 2013/6/20 8:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears they are the same seal as later cars. As O_D mentions, they go below the floor.

You remove the single bolt holding both pedal upper foot pads to the vertical arm sections so there is just the pedal arm remaining topside. Pull back the carpet so the floor plate is exposed and remove the 4 or 5 screws holding the plate to the body. Slide plate up over the arms and off. The new pad slides down over the arm with the narrow end going first. It sort of rests on a small protrusion at the end of the vertical arm. When the floor plate is reinstalled the wide flat area will contact it and seal the air out.

It would be a good idea to clean the arm and spray it and the new seals with some silicone spray before sliding the seals down the arm.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 8:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Guys, I think the seals are actually meant to fit into the holes of the removable plate. I purchased the Steele Rubber versions for my 39 Six Sedan and they look just like the originals in OD's post. Notice the small lips on the lower edge. This shape matches that of the openings of the plate such that it pops in and sandwiches the plate. The larger diameter oval shape then sits above the floor material (Rubber or carpet) such that the driver only sees the larger diameter over the floor for a nice look.

However, if there is any play in the pedal pivots, the brake and clutch pedal arms will move laterally with respect to the holes and will quickly pop the seals out of place. So, I took the liberty (as with other rubber parts from Steele and Metro) to open them up ever so gently with a sharp knife such that the pedal arms could move freely, then I glued them in place to the plate. They are now performing and look correct.

I hope this helps.
Pat

Posted on: 2013/6/20 11:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Guys, I think the seals are actually meant to fit into the holes of the removable plate. I purchased the Steele Rubber versions for my 39 Six Sedan and they look just like the originals in OD's post. Notice the small lips on the lower edge. This shape matches that of the openings of the plate such that it pops in and sandwiches the plate. The larger diameter oval shape then sits above the floor material (Rubber or carpet) such that the driver only sees the larger diameter over the floor for a nice look.

Maybe something was changed postwar so I can't speak directly to the 39. However, since so many parts carried over I wouldn't think too much changed.

On my 47 the seal won't fit into the hole without really scrunching the sides together and distorting the seal. It's fairly long to fit entirely above the carpet on mine plus the carpet only appears to have a slot arrangement -- although it is in sad shape so something could be worn away.

The 46-50 service manual has a photo where it appears to be directly on the pedal. Would be nice to know conclusively since there does seem to be different opinions.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.72 KB)
209_51c3343a2a749.jpg 640X300 px

jpg  (27.82 KB)
209_51c3344527ad0.jpg 493X329 px

Posted on: 2013/6/20 11:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I replaced the seals on my 38. The rubber slides over the pedal on the engine side of the firewall with the large side facing the floor board. The seal moves with the pedal arm.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 12:09
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Phils38cpe wrote:
I replaced the seals on my 38. The rubber slides over the pedal on the engine side of the firewall with the large side facing the floor board. The seal moves with the pedal arm.

Thanks. That's the way I remembered them but with my failing memory it's getting harder to remember facts conclusively.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 12:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
Thanks guy's you are all an invaluable source. At the least I've learned that the pedal face unbolts from the shaft and I think I will try the concept of sandwiching it into the plate for a start but because of the slack in the pedals I suspect they will end up just on the back side.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those things are bumpers as well as seals. There is a shoulder on the pedal arm to retain them and they are to keep the pedals from coming up too high and clanking against the floor plate. They go onto the pedal arm below the floor plate as shown in the parts book pictures.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 20:59
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
For what it's worth, the rubber on these stops is so flexible that I was able to remove my brake and clutch pedals, slide the stop down the pedal shaft and through the hole in the floor and into the engine compartment.

Just another way to install them, though maybe not the preferred way.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 11:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved