Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

Packard Don, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Question about cars converted to be more exotic
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
To clarify, I too liked the car...but it isn't original. Seems like the line in the sand is blurry....

Posted on: 2013/9/27 17:14
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
For starters, it's not a CCCA Classic anymore. It's a modified coachwork classic. It's no different than those fake LeBarons.

I don't find it upsetting, just rather weird. I remember a whole bunch of Packard town cars out in Queens. There was like six of them at a parking lot meet in Flushing Meadow Corona Park. Jim could have bought a whole fleet and shipped them back to Texas.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 22:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For starters, it's not a CCCA Classic anymore

Actually, I believe that statement is inaccurate. I suspect what you mean is that it's not a "Full Classic"; but it is CCCA recognized in the non-competing "New/Altered Coachwork" category which includes exact reproductions of recognized coachwork during the classic era. The "New/Altered Coachwork" category replaced the old "Modified..." category a while back.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 8:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The bottom line is they have no business mentioning anything about the CCCA in that ad. If a car is presented as a CCCA classic and is an altered car it can be ruled ineligible to participate in CCCA events of any type.

This car is no different than cutting the roof off of a coupe to make a convertible. The intention is to prevent misrepresentation and fraud against the unsuspecting. The car will not be judged at a CCCA event. They can't get a trophy with that thing.

I never understood that "Full" classic thing. I don't know what they think they need it for. Maybe to prevent some legal thing.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 9:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
What category does the aforementioned Duesenberg Graber fall into; that is, new coachwork done on a CCCA chassis that was completed prior to 1948?

What category does new coachwork done on a CCCA chassis that was completed after 1948 fall into and is there a distinction between:

1. Rebodies that are exact reproductions of a CCCA design, such as the '34 Packard LeBarons and 1940 Town Car that is the subject of our discussion.

2. Rebodies that are based on a rendering from the classic period, such as the Cadillac Sixteens shown at this link:

http://www.sportscardigest.com/rm-auctions-milhous-collection-auction-preview/

3. Rebodies with new coachwork not based on any production design or rendering from the classic period, such as the 1947 Packard 2-Pass Convertible Coupe shown near bottom of this link:

http://www.chicagovintage.com/?m=2013&cat=0&wpmp_switcher=desktop

Posted on: 2013/9/28 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If the coachwork or customer order was done during the period by a recognized coachbuilder it is eligible, but any car is subject to review by the classification committee.

I remember a car that was accepted for political reasons, and after the guy died it was quietly declassified. It is supposedly a club after all.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 9:55
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dano55400
See User information
Alot of old timers do this and have since the days of selling of the originals they owned and let go for a handsome $$ have slipped from there own wallets ability. My best friends father started the Caddilac club in SoCal way back in the 50s his cars old collection has been the subject of books articles etc. He sold off many rare convertibles, phantoens, v12 etc for good money. Today he takes Buick convertibles and turns them into caddilacs. Only a trained eye would recognize the cars not 100%. There just custom show cars to me and not a true coach work of its time period. These guys are at least many of them established standard of what is original to be a true original and now they molest 4 doors and drive them touting them as 100% original. To me it's bs

Posted on: 2013/9/28 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had the pleasure of seeing Jim's town car at a CCCA Grand Classic a couple of years ago. He was kind enough to give me a tour of the car and talked in some detail about the work that was needed to do the conversion. Jim also showed me his air conditioned '40 160 Club Sedan. Jim was a class act, a real classic.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (50.33 KB)
565_524af562ada22.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.82 KB)
565_524af5732c2a2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/10/1 11:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
1947 is my favorite year Packard. I've always thought a convertible version would have looked wonderful.

The one pictured doesn't. Not with that ridiculous top and boattail.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 12:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed about the looks of a Clipper convertible. No doubt you've seen this picture before, it's been posted quite a few times and appeared in many publications. There is also a "made up" replica of this car in a kind of orange paint as I recall. Someone else will surely find the picture before I do. The one pictured was done by Darrin.

Attach file:

jpg  (97.71 KB)
177_524c5b4a5cbae.jpg 1280X715 px

Posted on: 2013/10/2 12:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved