Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 227

53 Cavalier, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 15 »

Re: Debi's 1953 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Thanks Kevin, will keep that in mind when I get to the chrome.
Today's picture is the engine resting in the car. It's not bolted down just sitting there waiting for me to get more time.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.58 KB)
1632_523a01502c615.jpg 980X735 px

Posted on: 2013/9/18 14:39
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Was working on putting the engine back in, bolted on the transmission mount, motor mounts and others trying to put everyting back on when I saw a loose torque converter bolt. Then I noticed a scratch on the flex plate. Then I noticed the thick bolt head up against the flex plate.....Then I knew I had to pull the engine back out. When I put the flex plate in, I put two bolts in the wrong location. The 1st picture shows the scratch at the arrow, I had to turn the engine over to get to all the screws. The 2nd picture shows the correct way for the bolts, the black arrowed bolts were where the blue arrowed bolts are now and there was not enough room between the bolt head and the flex plate. I am in the process of putting the transmission back on the engine so I can put the engine/transmission back into the car. I am glad I took the front clip off. I should have checked my pictures as I took and saved a lot of them so could go back and look at the way it should go back together.
The hardest part was trying to pull the flex plate off the crankshaft. I pried and banged for 2 hours and nothing. Then I made a few phone calls and one said, "Just a couple of prybars should do it." So I tried that and pop, the flex plate came off real easy. I wish I had done that the first time.

Attach file:

jpg  (98.90 KB)
1632_52426790d79f7.jpg 980X735 px

jpg  (71.79 KB)
1632_524267a37f70d.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2013/9/24 23:44
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Got back into the garage today. The engine and transmission are back together and in the car. I switched the bolts that were in the wrong place and all is good. I am putting the parts back onto the engine and called it quits. I had to go buy some washers and bolts. The lock washers are worn out and I am missing some bolts even though I bagged and labeled everything. I had to buy some spacers for the fuel pump, I didn't know I needed them until I tried to put the fuel pump back in and noticed the hole was larger than the screw. Do we still need the plastic(?) washers that go on the bolts that hold the fuel pump on? It looks like they will wear and the fuel pump will get loose. The bolts I got from Kanter have holes in the head. Is that so I can wire the bolts so they don't move?
I'll try to line up and time the engine when I put the distributor and wires back in.
I heard that I should remove a screw near the oil pump and fill the galley with oil before I try and start the newly rebuilt engine up. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 21:27
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The spacers on the fuel pump were phenolic heat insulators as are the phenolic washers. Hopefully, you went back with something non conductive. Every little bit helps with the volatility of today's gas and the many reports of vapor lock.

IMO, Filling the galley sounds good since there is no way to run the pump separately to fill the system. I believe there have also been suggestions to prime the pump with light grease so it can pick up a bit quicker. Not sure if that is necessary. If it is a good idea, others can comment and give better details on what to use.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 21:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

duane.g wrote:
...The bolts I got from Kanter have holes in the head. Is that so I can wire the bolts so they don't move?...

Yes.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 21:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Some guys from the local Packard Club came over and helped me start the engine for the 1st time. It did take a few cranks but it runs. I tried to remove an oil galley plug to fill it with oil, but ended up cranking the engine around with no spark plugs. The engine was a little smoky but it sounded good to get the car running. Now I noticed the water pump leaks. Well at least it will be easy to get to.
I also had the guys look at my 1940 160 Sedan. It has an engine noise and they determined it was a leaky exhaust manifold. But that's another blog.
This car won't be ready for the National Tour in Gold Canyon, AZ next week so I'll have to sacrifice and drive either the 55 Clipper or the 40 160 Sedan.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 22:43
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Found out the hard way that there is a difference between the Senoir and Junior transmission rear flange where it hooks up to the drive shaft. I bought a used transmission out of a Junior Packard and it bolted right up to my Patrician motor and I thought all was well. Today I tried to bolt on the driveshaft and it did not fit. I pulled the flange off the original transmission and put it next to the Junior transmission flange and I can see the difference. It was easy to change out and made bolting the driveshaft up easy. The Senior flange is on the left and the Junior flange is on the right on the 1st picture.
Fixed the water pump leak by tightening all the bolts on the water pump. I need to go around and see what else needs tightening.
I thought I'd put the back bumper on with it's apron. Then I added a little chrome. It's far from done. I need to get to the interior.
After I put the back bumper on. I then moved the car forward. The tail pipe was up against the wall when I was first starting it. I now have a black mark on the wall where the tail pipe was. I was looking for trouble at the front of the car and did not bother to watch the back end.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.70 KB)
1632_5265f5ce22249.jpg 980X735 px

jpg  (43.49 KB)
1632_5265f5dc53d35.jpg 980X735 px

Posted on: 2013/10/21 22:51
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Had a friend make me 4 matching wooden arm rests for my car. I drilled and installed them and now need to remove the front 2 arm rests because they interfere with the front seat. I also installed the front and rear seats and a temporary carpet. I got a seat backing/separator for the trunk. I did not think it would fit but it slid in really nice. I also noticed 2 bolt holes for the top of the back seat. It is behind the seats' arm rest. My upholstery shop covered it but I'm not sure how it is supposed to be covered.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.24 KB)
1632_5278522e3f351.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (89.44 KB)
1632_52785243903f1.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (67.64 KB)
1632_527852541fdf4.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (63.69 KB)
1632_52785260c7f91.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2013/11/4 21:06
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I also noticed 2 bolt holes for the top of the back seat. It is behind the seats' arm rest. My upholstery shop covered it but I'm not sure how it is supposed to be covered.

Believe the later cars are like the 47. If so, the rear of arm rest opening has a fairly stiff but flexible upholstered panel covering the back. It's width fits the entire back of opening with sides flush against the cushions. Sides are hemmed and finished but not attached -- the panel is fastened to seat back at the top and to the top rear edge of arm rest at the bottom.

With the arm rest partially down, the panel edges can be pushed aside slightly and the two bolts are threaded in from the front. When the arm rest is down, the panel bottom is pulled forward and is reasonably tight. With the panel against the cushion sides, the opening appears finished and bolts are not seen.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 23:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There should be some pics on my project blog showing what the rear armrest looks like.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 22:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 15 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved