Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 154

Stefanie, bkazmer, William Grosz, Packardbarry, Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Packard 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
so the entire framing on the 35-37 is all wood....that is weird.....so the only solid steel is 38 and on....

No, that's misleading and not entirely true. Not sure of 1935, but 36-37 the largest use of wood was in the convertible coupe and convertible sedans and there mostly in the rumble seat lid and the like. Unlike the Seniors which were primarily framed in wood, the juniors were primarly steel with very limited use of wood.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 12:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thank you for clarifying

Posted on: 2008/10/1 12:25
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
anyone else have any other leads besides flackmaster?

later dudes,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/10/1 14:39
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2008/10/2 3:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks Oz, but i don't have 10 grand ;0(

plus i would rather wait till i could find a really good restorable 120 instead of a 110 or 115

Posted on: 2008/10/2 9:10
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

PackardV12fan
See User information
strongly recommend you sit down with yourself and discuss with yourself PRECISELY WHAT you want an old Packard (or any old car, for that matter) for.

Here's the problem. Buying what someone else abused into an unserviceable condition, and then trying to "restore" it, typically costs MANY MANY times what the identical car would cost, in serviceable condition. Find out what it costs these days for a passable upholstery job. Find out what it costs these days to re-chrome. Can you do your own body and paint work ? If so, find out what a gallon of paint costs ! You own or have access to a well-equipped shop?

Driving around in old cars is fun. Driving around in old cars to car shows, where you can meet other old car nuts, is double fun (just got back from the NEWPORT CONCOURSE D' ELGANCE - now that was REALLY fun) (sorry, that was a "super-snob" event on the private golf course of the St. Regis Hotel in Dana Point, where the hotel rooms START at $600 a night, so no "junior" series Packards need apply...!).

Think about this - you could probably buy a nice SENIOR Packard in serviceable condition, for MUCH less than you would put into trying to bring a dead "junior" Packard back to life.

Now - don't get me wrong - I was BORN (seriously !) in a '38 Packard "120". I will match a Packard - ANY price-range Packard, against ANY car in that particular price class.

So, if you just happen to like Packard 120 series cars, by all means, GO FOR IT ! But please, save yourself a lot of heartache and wasted time, by making whatever financial sacrifice it takes, to get a good one you can USE.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 9:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
dead grandfather is my motivation.....nothing else is needed. not a concours de elegance snob fest etc..... it is between me and my grandfather. it doesn't matter to me what it cost vs. what i could sell it for...i am not in it for profit because i will never sell them.....ever.....and i mean it.

everyone has to start somewhere....some are better at it than others....this is my first car to restore and so far i think i am catching on very fast....so i am not afraid of and old beater.....anything is possible through God who strengthens me. all you have to have is the right heart and motivation to see what something could and will look like when you are done, even the worst of cars....and even if it takes 10 years or more. who cares...it is fun....and it makes me feel close to my grandfather who i miss dearly.

He had a 37 138CD on a 120 Chassis.......the last memory i had in it was driving to his funeral in the back seat.....i have never seen the car since.....it is time for new, more pleasant memories for me and Packard....

enough said......

Hank

Posted on: 2008/10/2 10:00
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

PackardV12fan
See User information
nope..you are wrong...NOT ENOUGH SAID !

You werent listening. Your religious beliefs will NOT pay bills. Restoring cars is HORRIBLY expensive.

Just re-chroming alone could cost well over TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. What about replacing abused engine, transmission, drive line parts ? What about replacing missing body and interior parts ? Getting dash instruments working ?

C'mon...THINK. I will BET you, given how many TENS of thousands of Packard 120 series cars were made, at least ONE of them, EXACTLY like what you want, can be found in decent shape for a FRACTION of what it would cost to bring back to life some hulk that its prior owners didnt care about.

Wouldn't you really rather have a somewhat tired but serviceable car you could drive and enjoy, that would be like the one your family had, then have to haul home something that someone else ruined ?

Posted on: 2008/10/2 11:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
never tried to make it about religion, just stating facts that all things are possible through God who strengthens me. plain and simple.

i see your point and i understand....yes it would probably COST less in the long run if things were done the way you are describing.....but.....

not everyone wants a decent car to start out with. nor do you know how much money i have sitting around or how i feel about dumping that kind of money into a car that wouldn't be worth it in the return value.....i may have 10 dollars or 30 million to my name. i doesn't matter, the point is that some people actually enjoy the challenge and the work that has to be put into it and they also like to brag a bit about the story they get to tell about how THEY did it from what it used to look like.

everything has it's purpose, some may see a car as a parts car, others as a diamond in the rough....it is all about the individual...

as for me i have motivation on my side....and i just happen to really enjoy working on the cars....it is fun...

i have a friend of mine here at work that does the same thing and he is in his lower 50s. builds cars from straight scratch and loves the heck out of it....does he get a return...sometimes....maybe not...but to him it doesn't matter...he loves the hobby and enjoys the work. i am with him...it is fun and relaxing. you should see some of the crap he has started with and see what it looked like when he was done...and just by doing things himself...it cost way less than you think.

also my bills are VERY well paid for....lets just say that i have enough and reserved enough to beable to let my wife stay home when our child gets here soon and STILL save money every month. my assets are much higher than my debts...that's for sure. how many people do you know that can say that at my age...(27) 3 of my 4 cars are paid for, i only have 1 car payment, and the rest are necessity bills (water, electricity, etc)....no extras.....i think i budget very well and i don't, and refuse to, live off credit cards and interest rates.....i am more simplistic like the period our cars were made in. i grew up in a family that never had anything because of bad choices and i will NEVER be that way. so even if it took me 20 years to finish a "hulk" car...i don't care...it would be worth it to ME in the end and that is all that matters....my happiness.

even if you spent only 10 bucks a month on it....you can still do something to it without spending money.

i have not spent all of 100 bucks on the packard i have now....and i have had fun taking it apart and cleaning it and researching it and just sitting out in the garage thinking about my grandfather and the good ole days when i would ride around with him in his 55 and 56 models.....and how much fun it will be taking my son for rides and telling him about his great grandpa, etc....or riding around with my dad....that is why it is worth more than money to me....also i have spent SO much time with my wife working on the car too and our marriage has grown because of it.

as i said....enough said....you don't know me....

Kev...i suggest we just delete this whole thread......

p.s....my grandfathers 138CD was a full restoration as well.....not saying he didn't have decent cars too.....but he enjoyed both either way...money didn't matter....life matters.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 13:35
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
also i can enjoy ANY "junior" series Packard over any other any day....it is the memories that make the car...not the status of it.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 13:38
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved