Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 249

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: R-9 Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Sorry about the pin which is for the R11, you are of course correct. I have had some R6 and R9 boxes which had been badly overheated due to lack of oil and would not come apart and I regret to say that I had to use wedges to release the rear case. This was not harmful to the Sun/planetary gears. You should also be able to remove the drain plug on the rear case and put a finger in or a hook tool to try and slide the lock out collar rearwards and at least feel if it is cocked in the case. I would still give the wedges a try as it has worked for me, and I'm sure that it will not do any further harm to the OD section. Good luck PT

Posted on: 2014/4/6 20:26
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom in KCMO
See User information
I can't think of any way that the R9 overdrive output shaft would become stuck on the overrunning clutch assembly as it just slides over the rollers....unless maybe the rollers have somehow worn a grove into the bell of the output shaft (?).

If the lockout lever is moving by itself as you pull rearwards on the overdrive housing then my guess is that the lockout ring is hanging up somewhere, either on the overrunning clutch splines, the ring gear splines (forward of the overrunning clutch) or possibly either the reverse lockout plunger or the other, wider, plunger that interlocks with the solenoid pawl.

The reverse plunger should slide out of the overdrive housing as the housing is pulled from the transmission. If the reverse plunger is somehow stuck in the overdrive housing (stuck in the lockout collar shifting fork) it could 'hook' on the planetary gear and keep the housing from pulling free. This doesn't seem likely though.

Have you tried re-installing the tail piece on the output shaft, putting the car in gear and gently twisting back and forth with a wrench? This might help work any stuck splines loose. Alternatively you could try a slide hammer, though that might be a last resort option.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 11:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
After another day of challenges I am making progress. The output shaft is NOT stuck on the overrunning clutch. The lockout shifting collar is binding on the overdrive input shaft ( same as the transmission output shaft).
Between that and the lockout lever attached to the shifting collar the overdrive housing with the output shaft and the shifting collar won't come off. I have progressed from 3/16 of travel to 3/8ths. Tomorrow is the day!
I can feel it!

Posted on: 2014/4/7 22:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
I have the cases far enough apart to see that the planetary gear train has exploded. Darn. I'm guessing that the metal bits have jammed the shifting collar keeping it from sliding off.

Posted on: 2014/4/8 11:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As the kids used to say, That's a real buzzkill. As Ross mentioned, I'm also surprised there was not a large bang and much protesting when it happened.

Posted on: 2014/4/8 12:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
...and now for a commercial interruption...
For Sale : R9 Overdrive Tranny or parts...
Seriously, sorry to read of your troubles...

DAF, email is best, flackmaster at sbcglobal point net

Posted on: 2014/4/8 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I've observed over the years that internal lubrication was a weak spot on the R9s. There are a number of small holes that are supposed to channel lube to various critical spots and they seem to get plugged with old gear oil goo. Those planetaries run on uncaged needle bearings and if they run dry they will eat clean through their little axles.

Of course, this is made worse by cold weather, and worse yet if the gear oil has thickened with time. I'm starting to wonder if when getting a car out of a long sleep if it would not be a good idea to fill the overdrive with some 10 weight (ie, ATF) and let it run on jackstands for a while.

Posted on: 2014/4/8 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I have attended to a number of sun/planetary failures in R6 and R9 over the years in Australia, and it is certainly due to lack of lubrication. The oil in the OD section of the gearbox is at a different level to the main gearbox and substantially drains back to the front section overnight. The rear section is refilled by oil slung from the layshaft/first/reverse gears onto a channel along the top of the box and drains into the OD section. If the oil is too thick it will not sling properly until the box is warm and this my be too late.
A few days prior to commencing a long trip I always top up the OD section of the box with a 90 weight GL4 gear oil, without having taken the car for a run to shift the front oil into the OD section. It usually takes half a pint or so and in effect this is overfilling the box but it increases the settled oil level in the OD section. I have never had a problem with any of my OD's and I am running two R6's, two R9's and one R11. I run my cars fairly hard at 60 -70 mph. PT

Posted on: 2014/4/8 21:19
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom in KCMO
See User information
Bill,

Sorry to hear about your overdrive. Does it look like you'll be able to make the repair without dropping the whole transmission?

Tom

Posted on: 2014/4/9 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Bill-what happened? I was following this thread closely as I am having trouble with a r9 OD unit. Can this thing be service in the car without removing trans etc

David

Posted on: 2014/4/27 11:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved