Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Packard aluminum head
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have no idea what your aluminum head would look like -- maybe similar to the Edmunds -- but seems that the base external and internal dimensions would be the same as a regular head -- maybe a bit thicker or taller because of the aluminum??. Assume you would have CNC clean up the castings and machine the domes to get the precise ratio you want.

If you made them in such a way the fins could be milled off smooth to duplicate the 54 head in looks and made the domes of the thickness to duplicate the 54s 8.7:1 ratio it might open possibilities. I would think it might be a simple matter to select a program on the milling machine to mill off a little more of the dome to get your performance 8:1 ratio or another program to mill off the fins. I don't know if the milling of the fins could duplicate the rounded 54 look on the corners but if so, you might have a market for more than just a few.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 14:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Jack, what would you be looking for in a V8 intake?

Posted on: 2014/6/29 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
HH56, the aluminum will be slightly thicker especially in the deck surface to help it hold its shape and seal. it may be a bit taller to hold more water but unless you have a stock one sitting right next to it, it would likely be tough to tell. The fins would be cast in and similar to an Edmunds piece. I can ask if he could optionally mill the fins off but it would likely be an up-charge. The rounded look can be achieved with a CNC operation but the head would need to be either sand blasted or polished to take away the machines finish.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 22:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Dual quad on the v8 I'm sure. Unless there is a way to cram 3 quads on there ....muuuhahahahahhhahahaha !!!

Posted on: 2014/6/29 23:18
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
Dual quad on the v8 I'm sure. Unless there is a way to cram 3 quads on there ....muuuhahahahahhhahahaha !!!

Tri-Power?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/6/30 11:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Tri-power would be cool and dual quad would be nice as the original dual quad manifolds are super hard to come by. anyone want 6X2 or 8X2? lol

Posted on: 2014/6/30 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
He can do a separate head without fins for people looking for an original equipment look. Price should be the same (1200-1500) I would need to know if a faithful reproduction was wanted or just a head that was not finned.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Restorers will want a head identical in appearance to stock, complete with casting numbers etc.

Rodders will want finned heads, as jewel like and finely finished as you can make them.

Incidentally the 54 Packard 8.7:1 head is the highest compression ever in a stock flathead, and they had to do every trick in the book. I doubt you can go higher without cutting off breathing.

This much compression may require high test, 92 octane fuel.It is not comparable to a modern OHV or OHC, 8.7:1 engine, which has a thermodynamic advantage.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
8.7:1 would definitely be the upper limit of of compression in a flathead. and I would venture a guess that high test gas would need to be used. if anyone has pictures of the factory aluminum head that they could send me, something with the details of the casting marks etc I will forward them to the guy making the patterns and see what he can do. The heads will likely be sent out in a cast finish as polishing is a long tedious process and would raise the cost quite a bit but I will double check and get back to you.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you are serious about doing this someone should be able to send you a damaged (no longer usable on a car) head for reference.

The stock head would be "as cast" and I expect they were painted when the 54s were new.

Finned heads are usually "as cast" too but if you can do a finer casting than they did in 1954, that is all to the good.

I don't think a finned head with the fins milled off would be any good to a restorer, as it would still not look original.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 15:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved