Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 235

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1935 water pump leak
Just popping in
Just popping in

Roger Ennenga
See User information
My water pump does not look the same as what is in the 1935-1941 parts list book. It looks like the pump is inside the engine block. The threaded bushing that the fan shaft goes through is stripped, it would be helpful to see a diagram of the engine so I can tell how big a job it is to replace the threaded bushing.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 18:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 1935 water pump leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
???? what model are you working on?, the 120 pump is completely different from the senior pump, visually, however the technology is the same. the packing nut can only be replaced by disassembling the pump, but you know that...

Posted on: 2008/11/10 21:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When you say the pump body seems to be inside the block, it's apparent you have a senior car, and Eight or Super Eight. Pretty simple matter to remove the pump. Remove the fan blades, drain the cooling system, loosen the 5 nuts on the pentagonal retaining ring, rotate the pump body to slacken the fan belt(s), remove the belts, and then the pump body.

If the packing nut is stripped, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a used one, or try Byron York in CT for a new one. Assuming the shaft, impellor and mating threads in the body are OK, you just need new packing. You can either buy the original split ring packing, or just pack the cavity with graphited industrial packing cord and tighten the packing nut to form it into the cavity. It may require some further tightening after the pump has been in service for a few miles, but don't overtighten, an occasional drop from the packing is expected. But while your pump is apart you might want to inspect the two ball bearings. They are very common numbers as are the seals, readily available, and you can replace the bearings with open bearings as the originals and again rely on the seals, or you can buy sealed bearings and just put the seals in for show. All in all, a pretty easy job but do also check the shaft for galling which will make short life of the new packing if it's bad. If you need one, any good machine shop can make one, don't have it made of stainless, go for tool steel.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 0:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
O-D: I recently obtained a 37 Su8 water pump. I have learned it more important to have parts rebuilt and ready than cores on the shelf, and have a proposal from a well know rebuilder in the Northwest to overhaul for $195 "with a real seal". My question is, is this a reasonable price?

Posted on: 2008/11/11 1:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day rennenga,

Your first post, so welcome to Packardinfo a great Site. Could you please include your '35 Eight/Super Eight in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you came to acquire the car?
Again -

Posted on: 2008/11/11 1:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
And David(flackmaster),

I've just realised I haven't asked you to do the same. So could you please include your Packard/s in the Owner Registry together with pic's, any known histories and how you came to acquire the cars?

Posted on: 2008/11/11 1:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
proposal from a well know rebuilder in the Northwest to overhaul for $195 "with a real seal". My question is, is this a reasonable price?

Not a real easy question to answer, especially in that for me, locating the various parts and doing it myself is part of the fun. But if you don't have the talent or inclination to do it yourself, then you're going to have to go to a rebuilder. If your pump has a scored or galled shaft and the price includes a new shaft, I'd say $195 isn't unreasonable. If all you need is some packing and a packing nut, two inexpensive ball bearings and seals, I'd say it's a bit excessive. Assuming you want to send it out, why not get a price from Gould Rebuilders? 631-269-0093 in Kings Park, NY.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 9:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
....now why didn't I think of that? I've known Arthur forever...I guess I didn't think he did the packing style pumps. I will check and report back. Thx.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 10:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You'll find that Art is pretty much in retirement though I understand he comes into the shop occasionally. I forget the name of the fellow he sold the business to, Williamson or something like that. I've had several fuel and water pumps done since the changeover and the workmanship etc. remains at the same high level it did with Art Gould.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 15:33
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Roger Ennenga
See User information
Thank's for the information it was very helpful, I thought the radiator would have to be pulled, did not want to do that. I got this car from my wife's grandfather when he died & unfortunately all the info on this car is with him. Now that I have the pump off I can see that the casting is cracked around the packing nut/threaded bushing. Any suggestions who I should go to for a new one? Gould Rebuilders?

Posted on: 2008/11/12 21:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved