Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 169

Alvin14, moodydavid16, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: A Few Packards at Hershey 2015
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Does the 1918 truck have a GMC engine?

A couple of months ago, while at our local donut shop car show on Sat mornings, I was approached by man who's family has one of these trucks in storage. He said it came with a GMC engine as the gov't contract was made in such a way that Packard provided the frames and GM the drive train. Is this true?

Barry

Posted on: 2015/10/15 9:35
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not true. Packard trucks were all powered by Packard-designed and Packard-built engines. I'm not even sure there was a GM truck division during WWI, maybe someone wants to check this out. Didn't GM's GMC truck division come about later with the purchase of the Grabowsky Motors truck company?

Posted on: 2015/10/15 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

58L8134 wrote:
Hi

A couple more I missed, a black '40 120 convertible sedan parked directly across from the red '37 120 convertible sedan pictured above. The striking difference in the top heights was very easy to observe: standing at the windshield header next to the '37, one can sight across the top of the material; next to the '40, another of two inches of height is in view. One wonders if the taller top height was the result of customer complaints, in that hat-wearing era?

Bringing up the rear is the old soldier WW I Packard truck.

Steve

Steve, my guess it that difference in heights is due to the 37's low and flat windshield where the 40's is taller and divided leading to a higher roof/top line. Personally, I prefer pre-38 convertible and sedan with the chopped windshield look.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/10/15 10:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As to the '38 Twelve convertible victoria by Derham pictured in post #9, you might want to try to get your hands on CCCA's The Classic Car, issue of Spring 2015. Nearly the entire issue was devoted to Packard coach-built convertible victorias; informative text and good photo coverage of 10 or more of the finest examples including the '38 Derham accompany each. Coachbuilders featured include LeTourneur & Marchand, Franay, Rollston, Graber, Dietrich, Waterhouse, Derham, LeBaron and Brunn.

The '38 Derham, while severely restrained and conservative, comes across far better in person that in photos - truly a take your breath away car. Though it's hard single single out just one other, the '37 Twelve (Rollston) owned by Dave Kane is also very uncommon in that it's built on the long 1508 chassis with a low windscreen and roof line.

Hope you can get your hands on that issue and enjoy it.

Below, a photo of the '37 Rollston 1508 taken this spring at The Packard Experience at the Gilmore. Adjacent is the ex-Al Jolson Dietrich, also owned by Dave Kane (pictured).

PS - added a side view taken by Bob Gluck. This view shows the proportions much better.

Attach file:

jpg  (156.38 KB)
177_561fda95195be.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (80.73 KB)
177_561feb3129b91.jpg 1000X874 px

Posted on: 2015/10/15 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think the 38 Derham is a great restoration. If you don't like the way they built it in 1938 then buy a different car.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 3:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
That is a looooong car. I think it looks great. Did the long wheelbase give the backseat passengers more room?

Posted on: 2015/10/16 6:12
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi BDC

I recall looking into the rear seat area of that '37 Rollston at a show years ago. Much more legroom than the production convertible Victoria of the same year, but a bit cave-like. Frankly, that car could benefit from a quarter window not only for the rear seat passengers but for better design balance between the rectangular door window and the top mass. And this is from someone who loves the blind-quartered convertible Victoria!

Here's a couple more details of the '38 Derham:

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (87.18 KB)
409_5620e701bf52e.jpg 950X675 px

jpg  (66.67 KB)
409_5620e7180884c.jpg 1024X653 px

Posted on: 2015/10/16 7:01
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I agree. The '37 Rollston blind quarter is as large as a football field and the design would benefit greatly with a quarter window. Congratulations for getting photos of the Derham car with the top up. It looks so much better that way (less bathtub-looking). All the photos in the CCCA magazine show it with the top down.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 9:12
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved