Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 90

Tobs, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 352 Push rod
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Constellation
See User information
nope not 5/16 tips 1/4 tips i didn't mike the thing out. I knew it was 3/8 i measured the 10.5 just assumed the tips would be 5/16 like everything else known to man other then air cooled VW which is also a 3/8 with 1/4 tips and come in a variety of lengths from 10.5 to 11.5 to cut your own.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 10:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, I've got more than a lifetime supply, PM me with your name and mailing address and I'll send one your way.

PS - packed and mailed.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Why would Packard change the pushrods?

Posted on: 2016/4/6 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
LtRD, I believe they had different end caps with smaller holes to better control the amount of oil going to the rockers. Others are more knowledgeable about this, but there were some oil control issues with the first V-8s.

Nice seeing you in Kerrville on Saturday.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/4/6 16:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not familiar with what the changes were between the 55 and 56 push rods and would like to know, but with regard to modifying the oil flow to the valve train there were two changes to the rocker arm shafts, both documented in the TSBs. Also two different rocker arms, with and without an oil "pee" hole at the tip.

Ross and Jack Vines probably know this best, I'd really appreciate their input as to these changes and variations.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 17:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Delivery by USPS estimated for 4/11.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
A "pee hole"..... I love those technical terms...LOL

John

Posted on: 2016/4/7 15:28
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Constellation
See User information
Thank you sir and I've got something coming your way for your troubles. that hit the valve on the head. I'll be posting some pics next week of all the madness around here.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
nope not 5/16 tips 1/4 tips i didn't mike the thing out. I knew it was 3/8 i measured the 10.5 just assumed the tips would be 5/16 like everything else known to man

Packard, early Mopar OHV8s and a few others used 1/4" ball pushrod tips. Experience proved these too small for the loads and Mopar changed to 5/16". This difference is why later Mopar lifters don't work in Packard V8s.

Quote:
I believe they had different end caps with smaller holes to better control the amount of oil going to the rockers. Others are more knowledgeable about this,

The Packard V8s sent oil up through the left front and right rear head bolt to the rocker shafts, so the pushrods have no influence on the oil going to the rockers. The pushrod ball ends are solid, with no hole whatsoever.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/4/17 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
EARLY 55 V8 ROCKER arms had no hole DIRECTLY over the pushrod socket????

Posted on: 2016/4/17 17:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved