Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
the only thing i can't figure out is why there whey those shim plates on driver's side axle and not on the passengers.....is that some kind of placement thing for how far the axle goes in?? any suggestions there?? i have marked the order they came off so i know how to put them back. one of the shims is think the other is wafer thin.

You've apparently got a fairly well machined rear end--hence only one side needed shimming--although since you removed the axles and disassembled it, while I wouldn't think it changed, it might be wise to make a tool sort of like the one shown and re-check when back together.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.91 KB)
209_4945a16472385.jpg 496X834 px

Posted on: 2008/12/14 19:15
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael Smith
See User information
The pinion seal may be crossed at a seal bearing industrial supplier. Measure inside and outside diameter call to see if they can match it. Some seals sizes are built for specific applications, auto builders are one example and not general sizes.This allowed auto builders to have the part sales.So try industrial sales instead of auto stores, they tend to be cheaper also. good luck

Posted on: 2008/12/14 19:16
Michael 47clipper"6" good luck rather than good management!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i kinda figured they were shims. i don't have a tool like that so i will just have to get lucky when i put it back together and hope everything works, sometimes luck is better than skill any day. thanks for the heads up though, i also appreciate the input!

the reason i took it apart was because i didn't know what kind of shape the bearings were in or the seals, etc.... also that gear oil was just rank and i knew to get the main diff out i had to pull the axles. i was glad i did....that thing needs a really good cleaning. as long as i don't take anything off it i should be fine.

it was good to see that there were new bearings....saving me money! i just need to get my list together of what i need.

i am pretty sure that pinion seal is going to be one of those rare, packard only parts....i haven't found any modern seal that was encased in a metal casing. i will have to call up one of the bearing/seal places around here and see what they say though.....i know the antique auto store near me says they can get one.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 20:18
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hank,

While adding a post, you can select a picture, and then hit upload, and then select another pic and hit upload and repeat as required. It does not allow you to select multiple files at the same time as the standard PHP/HTML forms do not permit that. I would have write a JAVA applet to handle mulitple uploads. It's on my long term to-do list. But for time been it has to be one at a time.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 20:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
it's all good, it just takes some time uploading all those photos.....you know me i am mister photo LOL!!!

Posted on: 2008/12/14 20:59
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think one of the issues is that the photos you are uploading are very large. They only need to be about 800x600. Anything over that is really a waste, and just takes a long time to upload, and download when people are viewing them. If you are on dial-up then it's really bad.

When I upload photos, they usually only take about 3 seconds each. The pictures you typically get right from your camera usually are set as low-compression JPG. So that also makes them very large. When you resize them via a program on your PC, you can also change the compression mode to medium when you save them. This really brings the size down, keeps good web-viewing quality, and makes them much faster to upload.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 21:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A really good free program for Windows users needing a basic & easy to use image program to change the file size is Irfanview.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Mac uses can just use iPhoto and export as a jpeg file in medium quality (maybe even low) to get in the range.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
i kinda figured they were shims. i don't have a tool like that so i will just have to get lucky when i put it back together and hope everything works,

If you replace bearings, you had best recheck the end-play. You can easily make that tool, just a flat block of steel with a large hole, a threaded hole, and a bolt and locknut. Don't take a chance on ruining new bearings. You can easily make any needed shims from brass shim stock and a pair of tought scissors.

At worst, do it by feel. An end-play that you can just barely feel is probably 0.001 or 0.002", so play that you can just about feel and barely see might well be close enough.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 22:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
when i upload the images i move them from the camera to the desktop. i don't have to resize them because the website will accept the 3.2 megapixal without resize. so that save me the trouble of having to do that.

i have 6meg/640 dsl....so uploading the photos doesn't take but about 5 seconds each....it just take awhile having to select and upload the number of pictures i like to add. i add them because i want to document what i am doing. i like them large so that i can go back and zoom in, etc...to see what i did in the past. i know it is a dump on dial-up, but sorry i don't think anyone has documented this much detail on a 55 online and i would like to get the best info i can for those that want to look at what things look like apart.

i don't plan on replacing the bearings....they are brand new....whoever had it before me replaced them already. the bearing races were still shiny and the grease was still golden and not burnt yet. so it really never saw any time on the road with these bearings. so as long as i can put everything back the same way it should be just fine. thanks for the words of wisdom though, and rest assured i will look into it when it comes time to put it back together. ;0)

actually the inside oil seal and outside oils seals are new too and they weren't leaking when i took it apart. so i will probably reuse them to save cost, i think that paper felt piece will need to be replaced on the outside seal though.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 23:04
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
why is there no parts exploded view of the 55 rear axle...was that page missing??

Posted on: 2008/12/14 23:18
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved