Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 178

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fleet's 54
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fleet Butterfield
See User information
It's ALIVE! After 3 months of hard work, and standing on my head by teetering on the left fender to install the starter and reaching the last 3 spark plug holes, head bolts, etc, I got the engine to run on the first try! A 12v battery helped too. Not to worry, the power wires going into the cabin were disconnected.
Now for the hard work of removing the frost plugs on the left side of the engine in order to flush the block out. The water pump is off, as is the thermostat. Then putting that all back together including the radiator. Then comes the brake work, and gas tank.

Check the registry for my 1954 Clipper Deluxe that I just entered Monday 7/11 for it's story.

"Help! I'm confused.
Is the vin no. supposed to be the same as the engine no? (M309183)
There is a body tag on the upper right firewall, (pass side) that reads C66068.
There is another tag on the drivers side door post: 5492-5406.
There is also a blank spot on the drivers side firewall that's about 1" high x 2 1/2 long? Looks like there was some sort of tag there, but no screw holes, etc."
Where is the serial no. is stamped on the frame?

I have found this site very informative in many ways. My sincere thank you's to every who has input information.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 23:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Fleet's 54
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Fleet,

Good to hear it's alive!

I posted your queries here when I acknowledged your '54 Clipper entry in the Registry but without any responses. Trust someone will respond here.

Posted on: 2016/7/12 23:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Congrats!

Start in the FAQ upper section here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=14 That will answer a lot of your questions. Great info there.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 5:55
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your car does not have a VIN, those numbers came about as a result of a government standardization of numbers many years after Packard ceased to exist.

It also does not have a serial number, it's primary identifying number is a VN, or vehicle number, 5492-5406. The first 4 digits identify the year and model (1954 Clipper Deluxe 4 dr sedan) and the second set of digits represents it's sequential production starting at 2001.

C66068 is the "theft proof" or body serial number, a unique number assigned to permit identification by Packard if all other numbers were defaced or missing.

M 390183 identifies the engine as correct for a 1954 Clipper Deluxe.

There is no serial number on the frame. The blank spot on the firewall may have been the location of the Briggs body number (which would have matched the VN); except for the very few last cars the 1954 bodies were built by Briggs. Image of a Briggs tag attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.06 KB)
177_578640a16c0b1.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2016/7/13 8:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fleet Butterfield
See User information
Thanks for the clarification.

"It also does not have a serial number, it's primary identifying number is a VN, or vehicle number, 5492-5406. The first 4 digits identify the year and model (1954 Clipper Deluxe 4 dr sedan) and the second set of digits represents it's sequential production starting at 2001."

This explains the vin no. on past registration cards I found.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 20:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It was common to in some states to use the engine serial number for registration purposes before official VIN numbers came into existance.

My car is registered in the state of Calif by it's Engine Serial.

Posted on: 2016/7/14 9:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fleet Butterfield
See User information
I've heard that using the engine no. as a vin no. became a problem if the engine had to be replaced, especially with a used one from a different car. I also know that car companies made engines with no ser. no. just for the purpose of being able to stamp in your old engine numbers on the new engine. Or something like that.

Posted on: 2016/7/14 22:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved