Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

su8overdrive, Vaughan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: question about engine losing power
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Remove distributor cap. Just disconnect the tube going to vac advance, stick your mouth on it and suck on it. WATCH WITH TWO EYES to see if the points plate moves or not.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 18:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
There's also weights in there that causes a change in timing. So just looking at it with a timing light does not check the Vacuum Advance. Like PackardV8 said hook up a hose and use some sort of a vacuum device. But still I would run though the basic engine tune-up.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/6/14 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you're not comfortable with pulling the carb, take it to whomever rebuilt it. It's probably just got a little or alot dirt in it, a float issue, etc.
You didn't say if the fuel system was cleaned, so I suspect some type of fouling coming from it that prevents adequate fuel when required for the rpm. Fuel pump could be failing, but probably OK and you'll know when it goes completely.
Pre-electronic electrical systems usually aren't as selective to not run in a speed range. You have good spark/no starting issues, and power returns after fuel has not been called for.
You can monitor the exhaust gas ratio to check for starving, but need equipment. So probably best to take to a mechanic/auto shop.

Posted on: 2017/6/14 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The problem could be something as simple as a plugged fuel filter. JWL

Posted on: 2017/6/14 21:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If the electric fuel pump is the vane type, and you have it shut off during running, very little gas will be allowed to pump through it.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With no diagnostics done or reported, we're just throwing a handful of corn at the barn door. But if the problem is within the distributor it's far more likely to be the centrifugal advance and not the vacuum advance. And failures of the mechanical advance are very uncommon. Put your timing light on and just rev the engine from an idle up to some higher speed - if the timing changes I think you can look elsewhere for the problem. My inclination is that it's fuel related so the next diagnostic I'd do is fuel pump delivery (volume and pressure) and of course check any rubber sections of the fuel line, especially those on the suction side.

But before that, check the fuel filters as others have already suggested and don't forget that many mechanical pumps have a fine mesh brass screen above the fuel bowl, and likewise many carburetors have their needle and seat protected by a similar mesh screen at the fuel inlet.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Get a good service manual with a diagnostic section applicable to all cars, a Packard is not different. I could list 50 or 75 things to cause this problem and you may go broke trying to figure it out, I use books and brains, suggest you do the same.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Do not forget many electric fuel pumps also have a filter -I experienced that problem

Posted on: 2017/6/15 14:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Another thing to check is mentioned here in this blog in #42.

Posted on: 2017/6/16 18:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved