Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

Don B, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard Originality Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I'm looking at a 1941 Packard 160. The car is metallic green in color and is billed as being an older restoration. The interior is beautiful, but the dash is painted two-tone green. While it looks nice, I always thought this dash should be woodgrained. Also, the seat upholstery looks like it may be English broadcloth, but I question the authenticity of the design and maybe of the colors used.

Most of my Packards have been postwar, so I'm no expert. Can any of you prewar guys help me out with this? I'm savvy enough to know the car has less value if it is not authentic.

I'm going to try to attach an interior photo.

Thanks,

Steve in Indiana

Attach file:

jpg  (23.71 KB)
2722_5a4e68ea0c675.jpg 643X480 px

Posted on: 2018/1/4 12:46
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard Originality Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Steve:

Yes, most folks think that the instrument panel MUST be woodgrained. But that is not always the case.

The car you are looking at has the "Multi-Tone" interior and for those cars the insturment panel is color matched to the upholstery color as shown in your photo. Please refer to the 1941 Data Book listed on this website.
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1941_DataBook.pdf There is a description on page 44 and a list of Trim Selections on page 181 - attached.

--Roger--

Attach file:

jpg  (209.96 KB)
436_5a4e799ea2c52.jpg 1617X928 px

Posted on: 2018/1/4 13:59
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
As Roger says, there's an (in my opinion) attractive interior two-tone option. The interior plastic color was also harmonized. One of the ads at the time shows it. The bit in the photo looks good. Is this a 1903 or 1904?

Posted on: 2018/1/4 14:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Steve,

When, hopefully not if, you purchase the '41 160, don't forget the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/1/4 15:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
First of all, guys, thanks for the information. This is highly educational and much appreciated. The car is a 1904, but when it was restored (back in the 80's they think) the owner restored it as a club sedan (photos attached). While I find the look attractive, and the car appears to be very nice for an older restoration, I'm leery of buying it because it's not an authentic car.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Steve in Indiana

Attach file:

jpg  (25.27 KB)
2722_5a4ec745d211a.jpg 643X480 px

jpg  (16.88 KB)
2722_5a4ec769d83f4.jpg 643X480 px

Posted on: 2018/1/4 19:32
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It may not have been an owner/restorer "conversion." There were a few of these converted into the club sedan/formal sedan style, using the touring sedan body. Does your car have the formal sedan bulk head with single jump seat and storage bin?

We had an unrestored 1942 version of this type of conversion. I think they were done by Derham, but they didn't put any body tag on them. Don't take that as gospel.

Posted on: 2018/1/5 9:28
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Seems to me someone else asked about the authenticity of this very same car several years ago. Can't find the comments I made about it then.

You need to decide how you are going to use this Packard.

If you are looking for a senior Packard to take to judged PAC, CCCA or concours events looing to pick-up a silver-plated pickle dish or Lucite trophy, then this is NOT your car. Because those shows are all about authenticity.

If you are looking for a nice tour car, take the kids out for ice cream or your friends out for dinner, then this could be your car - BUT you need to get it for the right price and for a couple of reasons.

First, you need to think of your exit strategy and who will buy it once you decide to sell it. In good conscience you should explain what they are buying from you.

Second, was the elimination of the quarter window done in a professional manner? In the photo you posted there appears to be a bulge covering the window. Is that the case, or is it just the lighting/reflection? If it is a bulge, then you need to metal finish that area and repaint it to match, or two-tone the car. Alternatively, you could add a leather top as PMCC did on the 1907 One-Eighty, Custom Formal Sedan.

All of this affects what you should pay for the car if you decide to buy it.

Best of luck with your decision.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2018/1/5 10:35
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thanks for all the replies. They were, as usual, very helpful.

After speaking at length with the seller, and having been unsuccessful in arriving at a mutually acceptable price, I have decided to look further for my next Packard. With luck, I may even find one located closer to home. There's still a lot of time left before spring.

I am really glad I found this website.

Posted on: 2018/1/5 17:06
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved