Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering Wheel Light Switch on a '32 901
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
When I turn the steering the light switch also rotates turning on the lights. What do I need to do to prevent this from happening?

Posted on: 2018/3/29 10:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering Wheel Light Switch on a '32 901
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
This is usually due to the telescoping shafts that surround your steering column getting gummy, or having a physical change to the point where they are binding on the column shaft. The only method I know is to pull the whole column, take it all apart and make everything right internally. I wish I could say "spray some WD-40 down there" but it doesn't work that way. Most of those columns haven't been apart ever, and might just need some attention.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Thanks for your input.

I've had both out and de-greased them sometime ago. I also sent a solvent soaked wipe down the steering column and replace the wire at the same time.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The problem could be at the steering wheel. Removing the horn button and surround might reveal if anything is dragging there. I vaguely remember a thin piece of felt between the plates attached to the light and throttle levers, to stop the sort of problem you describe.
The horn button and surround assembly can be removed by pressing it in and turning.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
clockwise or counterclockwise?

Posted on: 2018/3/29 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Anti clockwise to remove.

Posted on: 2018/3/30 3:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Thanks, David. I appreciate the prompt response.

Bob

Posted on: 2018/3/30 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
You're right about the felt. The horn button is held on by 4 machine screws. One needs to loosen the nut at the bottom on the column and pull the assembly up. It appears that if I put enough packing in the assembly at the bottom of the steering box tha I will be able to tighten the nut enough to prevent the shafts from turning. Inspecting everything I did not find any areas that would be the cause of my problem, other than the packing was worn out and needed to be replace with the nut being taken down real snug.

I will be trying this out tomorrow and let everyone know.

Posted on: 2018/3/30 17:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I get my packing at the local plumbing supply, just simple graphited cord, the same as I use in the water pump except that for the packing above the headlight switch I unbraid it a bit to a smaller strand size.

Posted on: 2018/3/30 17:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved