Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Small export engine for 120?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Kev for your thoughts on this. Though engines at Windsor were assembled there, the components apparently mostly came from the Detroit plant as the Canadian plant had no foundry and forge. Though it's 1937, here's what was published in Auto Trader about the sourcing of Canadian parts.

The whole export business must have been quite complicated. Packard's Canadian plant build both RHD for the Commonwealth, Sweden, Japan and a few others, and LHD for other destinations. And the Detroit plant also built cars for export, both RHD and LHD, but not for export to the Commonwealth. And this was true not just for the juniors but for certain models of the senior cars. Must have been a bit of logistic nightmare.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.10 KB)
177_5bdb267a552d9.jpg 590X1500 px

Posted on: 2018/11/1 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...perhaps a really off the wall question, sort of outside the box, but could Packard have cut down the piston size by installing a sleeve into the bore to bring down the diameter of the piston...not unlike what is done to refresh an old block, except a much thicker sleeve.

Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/11/1 14:33
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ernie, thanks for thinking about it. The Packard Parts List gives a specific and unique number for the small bore block and pistons, so no sharing. Besides, the cylinder walls would be so thick, I'd think cooling would very problematic.

Posted on: 2018/11/1 15:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is where that putting all that Part List data into a DB shows how helpful it can be. Click this link to see all the parts with a reference to a 2 7/8 bore engine:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/index.php?mode=fullsearch&SearchValue=2-7%2F8+BORE&ButtonLookup=Go

Looks like there were ever specific differentials for those cars. The fact there are superseded part numbers in this list points to being a reality as if it was never produced, then why would there have been superseded part numbers.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 15:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Kev. I wonder if we'll ever unravel this but every bit of info helps. I've got a friend going thru some old Leonard Williams archives to see what might be there. Unfortunately most of their files were destroyed during the war.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 19:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
The Brooklands Book,"Packard Cars 1920-1942"has road tests of the smaller bore 115c and 120 by"The Motor" and "The Autocar"....

Posted on: 2018/11/3 1:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Now if this engine was really produced for the export market, wouldn't there been people asking questions when overhauling these?
Someone decides to overhaul this Packard engine. Well let's see "I need new pistons, let me check with the Packard club/Packardinfo/Kanter/Max Merrit". Wouldn't this popped up years ago? If they were really produced there ought to be some around would you say?

Posted on: 2018/11/3 8:13
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Darrin180, I'm very anxious to know what technical information is in that book about the 1935 engine in an export 120, please comment further including details about he engine. Any could you photocopy and mail me any significant pages?

BDC, I agree! You certainly think after 80+ years at least one export 1935 120 would have survived and required major engine service and that we would have heard about it, if for no other reason that lack of service parts.

Posted on: 2018/11/3 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Interesting stuff!!! I, for one, did not know Packard had a Canadian plant. In spent my working life in the industrial rubber business and the 'reach' of our products was almost universal. We had the GM contract for forklift tires at all their Canadian manufacturing facilities and, as such, I called on the Windsor plant. I believe there is only an axle plant left there now, (if even that) as a great deal of automotive manufacturing has gone to China, but based on Big Kev's article, it sounds like a great number of Packard components were Canadian-sourced, and manufactured for the Windsor facility. Is there any way to tell 'by the numbers' if one's car was produced there??? I know this is 'off the topic' a little bit, re the export block mystery, but any 'spin-off learning' along the way is of value, right??

Posted on: 2018/11/3 13:22
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard's Canadian plant opened in 1931 and closed in 1939 with the outbreak of war between England and Germany. Easy way to tell if your car was produced at the Canadian plant is to look at the patent plate, if Canadian manufacture it will have a Canadian plate.

Attach file:

jpg  (221.51 KB)
177_5bddec86d8be8.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2018/11/3 13:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved