Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 7 Passenger Sedan with Factory A/C
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Today I'm going to go look at a 1941 long wheelbase sedan with factory A/C. If anyone needs me to look at and photograph anything specific for their own restoration, please let me know.

Posted on: 2018/11/24 11:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 7 Passenger Sedan with Factory A/C
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Alas, Sure wish it was a Clipper so you could see any other differences in AC between it and conventional bodies. Would be nice to determine an obvious reason why and how they moved the compressor and mount to the other side of the engine from that on conventional bodies and what they did with the oil filter.

Maybe one of these days one will come along besides the one in Texas but on the LWB you are checking can you examine the rear seat closely and maybe take a photo or two of the seat base if you can see a gap or path for return air flow anywhere. All the info says is the seat is raised and return air is pulled from under the seat. I am just curious if there is an obvious visible space and if there is, where and how large.

Posted on: 2018/11/24 12:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Great idea, thank you Howard! I am curious too.

This 160 is all original and appears close to 100% complete although the compressor is off and in the trunk. This car is in Tucson, AZ where it was sold new in 1941. Seems rather high priced at $28k though. Any thoughts about that?

Attach file:

jpeg  (62.40 KB)
60923_5bf98f4e38437.jpeg 800X329 px

jpeg  (172.67 KB)
60923_5bf99a34759d2.jpeg 1400X1039 px

Posted on: 2018/11/24 12:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wish I could help on price but don't much follow prewar and if I did, being a charter member of the buy high sell low club doubt if my guess would be of much use anyway.

Posted on: 2018/11/24 13:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
When I see these old grand Packards, I wonder what lost story it could tell. Who was the wealthy person that bought it? Was it chaufer driven ? Most of all, how did it survive? What a sight to behold if fully restored?

Posted on: 2018/11/24 14:55
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
When I see these old grand Packards, I wonder what lost story it could tell. Who was the wealthy person that bought it? Was it chaufer driven ? Most of all, how did it survive? What a sight to behold if fully restored?

Posted on: 2018/11/24 14:55
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
When I see these old grand Packards, I wonder what COST story it could tell AFTER RESTORATION.

BUT if you love it go for it. When they started collecting cars 100 yrs ago the last thing people thought about was making $$$$$$$$$$.

That said their asking to much.

Posted on: 2018/11/24 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Don't know the history and neither does the seller but without a partition, not sure if it was chauffeur-driven or not. Just got back from seeing it and it is remarkably solid and complete. It's so dry here in Tucson I would have been surprised to find any rust. I didn't climb under it but nevertheless, the price to me seems double what it should be.

Howard, more on the A/C air intake soon.

Posted on: 2018/11/24 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Nice, complete, original old unit Don - good luck with scoping it out. Have to agree with Packard Barry though, that they're asking too much. When I was looking for my car, I was in serious discussions with a guy in Washington on a RESTORED 160 for $30K. That car was '39 or '40, can't remember, so not sure if that one-or-two-year-newer would make a significant difference, and the 160 I looked at HAD been restored quite a few years back, but it was a frame-off and the car still looked pretty jammy to my, at-the-time, untrained 'Packard eye'.
Anyway, best of luck! Chris

Posted on: 2018/11/24 18:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had to wait for the photos to appear on my iPad and the've just arrived so here is what I found on the air intake. The seat does not appear to have been raised but if it was, not enough room to even get fingers into it. However, there was a notch toward the passenger side that appeared to have a heater in it and it appreared to be the only source of air. The car also had an ugly rug on top of the original and several layers of seat covers. There was also an under-seat heater and the heater under the dash.

Attach file:

jpeg  (370.71 KB)
60923_5bf9da9e5a6ea.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (319.57 KB)
60923_5bf9dab7ca28c.jpeg 1920X1439 px

Posted on: 2018/11/24 18:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved