Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Standard Transmission / Overdrive oil change
Just popping in
Just popping in

51PackardJack
See User information
Hello All,
First I would like to say that I am a new member of this forum, although I have been using its valuable resources for several months now. I would really like to thank everyone for their participation in sharing such a great wealth of information.

I don't currently have any digital pics or time to give the full story of me and my packard, but I will give the readers digest version.

I basically have a "one owner?" 1951 all original Packard 200 hardtop coupe with a straight eight and standard/overdrive transmission. My full name is John Joseph Renaud IV (yes, that is 4) but I go by Jack. I am 38 yrs old and this Packard was purchased new in Lakeland, FL by my great grandpa John Joseph Renaud Sr. This car has been garaged kept its entire life. JJ Sr. passed away when I was a young teenager around 84-85. (I learned to drive standard on this Packard when I was 15) Up until he passed away my great grandpa had a Dodge workvan, and the Packard. He still drove the Packard on a regular basis, to the grocery store, church every Sunday, etc. My dad (JJ III) and grandfather (JJ JR) took over the Packard and rented a storage unit in Lakeland to keep it in. My grandfather would go out on a semi monthly basis and start it up and run it a bit. My dad and I lived 90 miles away on the East Coast of FL in a town called Titusville (across the river from the shuttle launchpads). Yearly, we would drive it to the Spring Packard meet in/around Sarasota,FL. In 1988 we built a new house in Titusville that included a 3 1/2 car garage and the Packard was moved from Lakeland to Titusville to its own stall in the new garage. Although I have always been a part of it, mostly my dad and granfather took care of the car and took it to Packard shows around the state. I went to a few of them. Several years ago my grandfather passed away and my dad just lost his interest in the Packard and wanted his garage back. He told me that either I needed to find a home with a garage to keep the Packard (was living in apartment) or he was going to sell it off. I moved into a house with a two car garage and for the last 14 months I have been the new sole caregiver of the ol girl. The car has been repainted once about 3 yrs ago due to an unfortunate but funny accident involving my dad and an automatic car wash (I will eloborate some other time) and the front door panels were recoverd around 5-7 yrs ago. Other than that, the car is all original with 96,000 miles.

My dad always drove the car on a semi occassional basis until the car wash accident and then it sat stationery for about 3 yrs before the door was fixed and car painted. When I took it over 14 months ago, she had several issues because of sitting for so long. The gas tank got rusty and clogged and also clogged up the fuel pump and carb. The tires got rotted and bubbles and the brake master cylinder crapped out. I have basically just now got it back road worthy and still have a few minor and 1 major things to work out.

Currently I am in the middle of changing fluids, which leads me to the actual reason for this post. I have a question of draining and refilling the transmission/overdrive oil.

First, I don't want to put any new fangled oil that could eat away at any old bearings or seals in the tranny. All the old Packard manuals call for a good quality 90w transmission "mineral" oil with no special additives. When they say "mineral" oil does that just mean regular 90w transmission oil that I can buy in the regular auto parts store? Are there any specific brand that I should use or stay away from?

Second, I sort of got up under the car today to drain the tranny oil. The car sits so low that even with jacking it up I find it hard to get my fat ass under there. I have read that after draining, I should fill the overdrive first, and then the transmission. My question is: Is there a drain plug for both the trans and overdrive? From my quick peek this morning, I think I found the drain plug near the front of the tranny, and I see what looks to be the fill plug higher up on the tranny, and a fill plug on the overdrive. I don't seem to see a drain plug for the overdrive. So do I just drain both from the tranny drain plug or does the overdrive unit have a drain plug as well that I just didn't see?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

--51packardjack

Posted on: 2009/2/15 14:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Standard Transmission / Overdrive oil change
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Check out the BW overdrive manual in the Packard Articles section of this site. It has the answer to all your questions. I know that you DON'T want a hypoid oil in the OD section

Posted on: 2009/2/15 14:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
51PackardJack wrote:.......I don't currently have any digital pics or time to give the full story of me and my packard, but I will give the readers digest version.

I basically have a "one owner?" 1951 all original Packard 200 hardtop coupe with a straight eight and standard/overdrive transmission............51packardjack

G'day Jack,

to PackardInfo. Great story about your '51. Looking forward to seeing it in the Owner Registry when you get that digital pic.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 14:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

51PackardJack
See User information
Phils38cpe thanks for the reply.
I have already read the B/W overdrive manual from cover to cover twice. I do not see any mention in regards to my question about if there is a drain plug for both the tranny and for the overdrive, or if all oil is drained just by removing the drain plug on the tranny. All documentation I have found just states, drain the oil and then fill using the fill plug until oil comes out. The B/W manual is where I found the info, that during a full drain and refill, you need to fill the overdrive first, then the tranny and then during subsequent checks, just fill the tranny. I also do not see any pictures in the manuals that actually show the locations of the drain/fill plug(s). If anyone can point me to some pics that would be awesome!

Thanks,
--51PackardJack

Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Jack,

Welcome,
There are two separate drain and fill locations. The main transmission section has a drain and fill plug. The rear overdrive section also drains and fills towards the rear. you will have to put the car on stands to easily get under and locate these sets of drain and fill plugs.

As for oil type, I run 90 weight Hypoid gear oil in both sections. I believe the concern with using mineral oil years ago was due to the corrosive properties attributable to the high sulfur content and other additives years ago, with little or no corrosion inhibitors. That is just an opinion; take it for what it is worth.

Good luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You should have no concerns using an EP gear oil in your trans and OD, I've used them for decades w/o problems in Packards of many vintages. I generally use SAE85W-140.

Yet, the Studebaker technical experts advise against it in their cars, and say either use GL-1 gear oil (not the easiest to find), or plain old SAE40 motor oil in the OD unit.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Jack-

Very interesting story of your car, it was a good read and I look forward to more information about the 'car wash incident'. Also, there is such a thing as "project blogs" on this site (in Packard Forums), and not only can you see others with A LOT OF PICTURES chronicling their efforts, you can create one yourself.

Thanks for finding us, and welcome!

-Carl

Posted on: 2009/2/16 14:20
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Please use GL4, not GL5, gear oil. Yes, there is a difference, I'm told. The GL ratings are performance, and not chemical content ratings. I've been told by trustworthy sources that the additives in the GL5-rated oils can damage the yellow metals in our transmissions and rear ends.

So, protect your rear end.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 15:32
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved