Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Caribbean Starting
Just popping in
Just popping in

Rob M
See User information
Howdy all, my first post here.
I am a close friend of a Packard collector who recently passed and I have been trying to get his vehicles up and running after a couple years idle. The '53 Caribbean is the one I have spent the most time fiddling with - it had a leak from the line into the fuel pump which I fixed. It turns over smoothly, and fuel is getting to the carb, but it never fires. I am assuming a coil issue at this point. Curious if anyone has any thoughts on chasing that down (should I just find and swap in a new coil and see?). I am a car guy and helped worked on his Packards as a kid, but it has been ~15 years since last time I was under the hood of a Packard so I am rustier than a NY junkyard car.

Also having issues starting a '47 8-passenger limo, and '40 180 but I'll save those for another day!

Posted on: 2021/2/4 10:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Caribbean Starting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...If you have power to the distributor, it might be as simple as cleaning the points...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/2/4 11:08
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rob M
See User information
Good call! I will give that a try next. Something I rarely think about since my own cars I replaced all the points with electronic ignition when I first bought them. I never remember to think about points!

Posted on: 2021/2/4 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Rob,
I'm with Ernie on the points check. If you have a points file, you can freshen them up with that, otherwise, some 3-400 grit sandpaper folded in half and inserted into the points and pulled back out while holding them gently closed can 'break' possible oxidization on points that have sat for a bit. I'd also do a quick ohms test on the condenser while I was in there. I've had that be a 'non-starter' solution as well. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/2/4 14:41
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if your distributor is one of those with the very flexible fabric wrapped wire connecting the points/condenser inside terminal and the outside terminal, the fabric on the wire can rot and have a chunk drop off letting the wire short.

Posted on: 2021/2/4 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you use sandpaper which is the way I do it too (or a file if the oxidation is heavy), be sure to blow away any abrasive, then drag a small, clean piece of paper through in the same manner to remove any residue. If only lightly oxidized, sometimes even the paper by itself will work.

Posted on: 2021/2/4 20:48
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rob M
See User information
Thanks y'all! I will give those a shot next time I am at the garage, and circle back. Appreciate the fast replies.

It's a great car that sadly had a few years of neglect. I would really like to see it back on the road again along with the rest of them.

Posted on: 2021/2/4 22:01
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
My dad always used a paper match book striker. Was always handy in his pocket lol....