Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: 1953 Patrician: has anyone updated from Treadlevac to modern 2-chamber mstr cyl?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
I was home over the weekend, and forgot to get the info. I'll be back home in 4 days.
The info was a sucessful conversion done by the late Craig Hendrickson. I printed off all the info and research many years ago. He was a brilliant man. I emailed and spoke with him I couple of times. This was all well over 10 years ago. When I retrieve my info, I'll take it to work scan it and get it on this site. Then the info will be around for ever.
He did many interesting conversions on a 56,.
I know his website is long expired on many of these conversions but I have some of it in print.

Dave O

Posted on: 2022/7/17 19:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Patrician: has anyone updated from Treadlevac to modern 2-chamber mstr cyl?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Old thread, any new info? Currently researching converting my 53 Patrician to modern booster/master. I can go through the crotch vent and it lines up with the 53 pedal at a 4:1 ratio. The yellow mark is 4:1. But the pedal pivot isn't up for the leverage. Is iffy at 1:1 ratio. So I'm looking at universal pedal assemblies.

Thanks
Earl

Attach file:

png  Screenshot_20231123-223619.png (617.74 KB)
226490_65601a66c99f4.png 1080X2460 px

jpg  IMG_20231122_161141175.jpg (415.22 KB)
226490_65601a8a95ff1.jpg 1920X1446 px

Posted on: 2023/11/23 22:36
1953 Packard Patrician 400 Touring Sedan
*Factory AC
*3spd manual with overdrive
*Heater
*Backup lights
*Power steering
*Power brakes
*Windshield washer
*Driver's side spotlight mirror
*Spare tire remote valve
*Wonderbar radio
*Power antenna
*Rear radio speaker with dash volume control
*Original interior other than the carpet
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
NO question that dual systems are safer than single systems. However, I have driven single master systems all my life and never had an issue, and many of them were in unrestored condition. A dual system with total loss of front braking is better than no brakes, but not much better than a single system with the same failure and mechanical emergency rear brakes. I would not be afraid of a properly restored single master system with emergency braking on both rear wheels.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 9:12
 Top  Print   
Sad (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
NO question that dual systems are safer than single systems. However, I have driven single master systems all my life and never had an issue, and many of them were in unrestored condition. A dual system with total loss of front braking is better than no brakes, but not much better than a single system with the same failure and mechanical emergency rear brakes. I would not be afraid of a properly restored single master system with emergency braking on both rear wheels.

Thanks, but no thanks. Not on any on my vehicles! Good luck with remembering to pull that parking brake in a microsecond at highway speed locking the rear wheels throwning you into a rear skid. lol

Earl

Posted on: 2023/11/24 9:58
*Factory AC
*Heater
*Backup lights
*Power steering
*Power brakes
*Windshield washer
*Spare tire remote valve
*Wonderbar radio
*Power antenna
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
To each his own.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Earl, your car, your decision. I wish you much success in making the transition.

Quote:
...My estimate is that Packard sold almost 150,000 cars with Treadlevac as it was a popular option. It was also installed on many other makes including Continental and Mercedes.

They work great with a very short pedal travel in normal driving. In an engine-fail emergency, they are no different than any other vacuum assisted power unit. You have to press hard. The only weak spot in the design is that they will not tolerate dirty lumpy brake fluid.

Ross, which other brake system tolerates dirty lumpy brake fluid? I would call it improper use rather than a weak spot in the design if a brake system fails due to unusable brake fluid.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 10:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Unlike other system which are pretty much just a piston in a bore that seals off the reservoir port(s) when the brakes are applied. This design uses a poppet valve, if any dirt wedges itself between the valve and the seat all the brake pressure goes back into the reservoir vs the brake lines. So you from brakes to no brakes, instantly.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 10:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Please stay on subject. It's not a discussion of whether to or not to. It's a discussion on what has been successful, new ideas, new products and to be helpful on my conversion, which would help others. The car is getting converted, no matter how many posts say not to. Lol

This car is a driver. It will see highway 70 mph speeds often. It will see heavy stop and go traffic. It will get front disc brakes. It will get seat belts. It will be made as safe and reliable as I possibly can make it. Otherwise it would have no value to me.

Earl

Posted on: 2023/11/24 11:22
*Factory AC
*Heater
*Backup lights
*Power steering
*Power brakes
*Windshield washer
*Spare tire remote valve
*Wonderbar radio
*Power antenna
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Who said not to?

Posted on: 2023/11/24 14:18
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mopar_Earl,
Should have done this earlier, but catching up now, so to PackardInfo!

I invite you to include your '53 Patrician, with front disc brakes and seat belts, in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 14:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved