Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 191

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 36 37 38 (39) 40 41 42 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Henry,

Right now, Weather Underground is saying that Saturday should be nice weather in Salado. Unfortunately, it is supposed to rain Friday morning for the tour.

I am looking forward to meeting you and seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2009/3/26 9:10
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
nice, but colder than it has been. i don't like cold weather...burrrrrr!!

as long as it doesn't rain i will bring it. i don't want to get it all wet just yet.....and it really isn't the rain that bothers me it is the road grim that will get on it from traveling.

i probably wont get there until around 9 or 10.....i am 2 hours away and probably wont head out till about 8 am or so.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 9:32
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
funny thing...i have been checking for my area.....and not salado....LOL! it does seem to be getting better for saturday....63 and party sunny...not to shabby. for my area it shows 54....10 degree difference and only 2 hours away...crazy texas!

Posted on: 2009/3/26 9:33
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Post a pict of the pins you are talking about. The only thing I can remember that could be called a pin is the steering stop which prevents the wheels turning so far the tires rub something. Be gentle demo'ing the TL. Without the weight of body, compensator & associated will be stressed to the max. Hate to see you break something.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 10:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
when i say "pins" i may be saying it wrong, it is the screw that holds the outer lower bushings into the a arm.

if you look at the photos, you can see that the passenger's side has more threads sticking out, which contacts the backing plate when i push the backing plate all the way in. which may not be a problem once everything is said and done. the driver's side is the original lower outer bushing screw and there is hardly any threads sticking out and it does not contact the backing plate at all.

if it were to be a problem in could always cut off the end of the screw that is in the passenger's side. If it isn't a problem i can just replace the one on the driver's side to match, so it is symmetric side to side again. yes...i am weird like that.....

look on the lower a arm.....outside....bushing area...there is where i am talking about.

also i have it to were the torsion motor has the least amount of stress on the main bar as possible. so far so good. but, i guess i probably could have just left the bars up in the hangers, but i thought that michael might want his tools back sooner than a couple of years when i get the motor int. LOL!

Hank

Posted on: 2009/3/26 11:40
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the MRI tech here at the hospital saw a grey colored 2dr 49 going south today ;0) first packard! he had pics of it, but i couldn't tell who was driving it....the lady waved at him from the passenger's seat. should be a good story to tell them when i find them down there.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 11:46
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hank,

It's looking real good, I enjoy following your progress and learning along the way helped by the many pictures. You'll be a star of the show with your rolling chassis at Salado as there'll be a lot of interest to see how T/L works. There's also a couple of Texas guys here for our Rally, besides "The Flackmaster", who would normally be at Salado too. Say G'day to any PackardInfo guys there from us down-under.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 13:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
dang, wish i had means to fly out to Australia...that would be SWEET!

thanks for the good words

Posted on: 2009/3/26 13:54
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
tonight i cleaned the other drum up, my dad did the first one, and i started to paint them, but it is so humid that the paint is taking forever to dry. i couldn't paint the other side because the paint was still sticky. i should beable to finish tomorrow.

so, i just put them aside to dry overnight. i also made a piece that will connect both sides together when i go to push the thing up on the trailer. it is just a piece of 1x1 wood that i cut and drilled holes into at the ends. i used 1/2" x 2 1/2" bolts to hold it in. it works, but it isn't the best thing. i also painted it black so it kinda matches. when i pushed it side to side, the lower bushing bolt that is longer on the passenger's side seems to be okay, so we will see when i get the steering all together at some point in the future.

i'll flip over the drums tomorrow and paint them and mount them.

i also need to see if a tire shop has a used tire in the 205/15 series, one of my rollers is a 215 and is bigger and makes the car lean and looks bad. hopefully one of the tires shops will have a used one laying around.

get the trailer tomorrow and load up on saturday morning and hit the road.

supposed to be nasty here tomorrow and cold saturday morning, but supposedly better in salado, so we will see. i pretty much decided to go no matter what, with the frame, you only live once. i am going in two mondays from now to do another ablation on my heart and most likely have a pacer/ICD implanted. so, you only live once, so screw it.....rain or shine...it's comming with me. ;0) what good is it if i don't enjoy it.

i also got my truck backed up over the frame and was able to fix the rubber pad under the base plate on the lower a arm. worked out great. ;0) i just jacked it back up, put the hanger back on, fixed the plate and rubber and let it back down. ;0)

i painted the colors on the bars too.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.24 KB)
491_49cc4ec3ce91e.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (55.49 KB)
491_49cc4ecd18cff.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (34.07 KB)
491_49cc4ed37f156.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (50.46 KB)
491_49cc4ee595eee.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (50.09 KB)
491_49cc4ef61a307.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2009/3/26 22:58
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the eagle has landed, finally. back on the ground!

the driver's side bearings when in fine and smooth, adjusted the brake pads and was good to go. 20 ftlbs, back off one hex, then to cotter pin location.

the passenger's side was different' i wen to put it on and it stopped about 1/2" from going all the way on. i thought it was the brake pads were too tight, so i adjusted and adjusted and adjusted until i got to no more adjustment and they still rubbed a bit. it still wouldn't go on all the way. so i took off the inside bearing again and tried to put the bearing on the spindle by itself. it wouldn't go on all the way. everything looked fine as far as i could tell, plenty of grease and all too. so, i put it back together and put the outside bearing on and tighten the nut slowly and it pushed on fine. the brake pads were still a bit tight, so that side is hard to turn, although not impossible to turn. i don't remember having this much difficulty with the inner bearing on this side when i was taking everything apart, so i am confused.

i am pretty sure i did not switch sides on the bearings and the bearings look to be brand new "japan" made type bearings, so they are probably newer. they look perfect and never used. any reason why this inner bearing would do this. i didn't see any trash between it and the spindle.....so i am confused.

at any rate it will work fine for tomorrow's trip, but i will look at it again later. just thought i would pick everyone's brains too.

i also didn't get to painting the AOS number on the side of the frame, which is a bummer, cause i thought would be cool to see for everyone. i may stop by MJ Designs and get a stencil set and do it right there at the show....how fun ;0) then again maybe not...

later,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (73.97 KB)
491_49cd931fad024.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (85.82 KB)
491_49cd932775806.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (83.20 KB)
491_49cd932e75bf8.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (89.77 KB)
491_49cd933e5af60.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (55.34 KB)
491_49cd9346adaba.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (65.00 KB)
491_49cd934f46145.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2009/3/27 22:02
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 36 37 38 (39) 40 41 42 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved