Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Removing Rear Hub
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
I have the 3-legged puller and have pulled the rear hubs before (about 4 years ago). I believe I had to block the puller against the floor to keep everything from slightly spinning when hitting it. Is this necessary? I gave it 4 hits about 3 times before thinking of this.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 17:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Removing Rear Hub
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've never had to do that on either my 54 or 37.

It may move a little bit, but not really freewheel.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 18:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

kunzea wrote:
I have the 3-legged puller and have pulled the rear hubs before (about 4 years ago). I believe I had to block the puller against the floor to keep everything from slightly spinning when hitting it. Is this necessary? I gave it 4 hits about 3 times before thinking of this.

On some that were really a pain I just raised it a bare amount to take load off the hub but let the tire still barely touch the ground so it could not spin. On other cars I used a piece of tapered wood as a sort of ramp. Each time the blow wanted to rotate the wood wedged under the tire a bit tighter.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 18:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
I took the wheel off before attaching the puller. I'm afraid of the impact on the rear end gears. I'm only taking the hub off because the brake adjustment star won't turn either way.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I've never had that be a problem on my '37 or my '40. (granted I've only done 4 wheels with it)

Posted on: 2023/4/5 6:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I put one of the lug bolts back in at the 9 o'clock position and used a short piece of 2x4 wedged between the bolt and the garage floor.
Put the big axle nut on the end of the axle to protect the threads and to keep the hub from popping off and landing on your foot!

Posted on: 2023/4/5 16:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved