Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 161

humanpotatohybrid, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dead short
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Dead Short on 6V positive Ground '54 Clipper Electrical system?

It was sluggish stareting since got out of storage this Spring. Battery seemed unable to take a charge, ran on the generator, I guess. Replaced starter Solenoid, put in new battery. Sparls when trying to connect new battery.

Anybody?

Posted on: 2023/4/19 11:03
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Dead short
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are so many places a short could have developed.

If it is a heavy spark with key off, door closed, and absolutely nothing else turned on one suggestion is disconnect the ARM wire from the regulator and see if you still have the short. If the cut out relay contacts welded closed that would try to put a large current thru the generator.

There are only a few always on items without a breaker, one feed goes to the headlight switch and the front cigar lighter. The body feed fuse or breaker also is constant on and powers rear cigar lighters and sends power to courtesy and in some cars, the brake and trunk lights.

Unless a wire is cut or a chunk of insulation fell off before a fuse or CB, almost any other short and spark may only show if something was on. There could be a circuit breaker cycling too. When there is a short, most Packard breakers trip, stay off for a few seconds, turn back on and trip again. That cycle repeats until the short is fixed or the breaker finally fails.

Trunk lights are known for staying on as are brake lights if the switch fails. Cigar lighters have also been known to stay on and cause issues. If not one of those, am afraid it is going to be a process of elimination.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 12:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
thanks onceagain, Howard. I just hooked up the charger to the battery now, and that's all good. Replace the solenoid in the dark and cold last Saturdy. I will pill the Voltage Regulator next. I think that'll tell the tale,

guy

Posted on: 2023/4/19 13:52
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Don't forget you can ohm between the battery wires instead of trying the battery each time. If it's something strange like mice eating the harness, you might burn it up before you find it.

Sure no wires are shorting on the starter?

Posted on: 2023/4/19 19:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The only thing changed was the solenoid, so that is the most likely reason for a sudden change in the status quo. Highly unlikely that a major short randomly developed on its own. Reason for changing was?? Please post a picture of the starter and solenoid as there were two types used on the 54 cars.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 20:11
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I don't use a meter Much. Headlights work for quick checs. Have the Voltag Regulatot off. Pics coming. Howard, you have a pm. No worries so far. thanks to all

Posted on: 2023/4/19 20:22
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
ARM wire red, I guess. I think thi will do it.

Also noted. Tiny little ground strap is hanging loose by the regulator

Posted on: 2023/4/19 20:33
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Well, I think I about got it . . pics and everything.

Well just about done but i qain't gonna do anything in a thundersleetrianlighninghail

Posted on: 2023/4/19 20:45
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
The only thing changed was the solenoid, so that is the most likely reason for a sudden change in the status quo. Highly unlikely that a major short randomly developed on its own. Reason for changing was?? Please post a picture of the starter and solenoid as there were two types used on the 54 cars.

It was kind of the only thing I could think of at the time, because the car had been starting so erratically, and it's always been super reliable.

I had the solenoid in the trunk, and a new Voltage regulator, and lots of parts for everything electrical, and the starter solenoid was by far the simplest, most obvious thing. If I start posting pics right now I am afraid they will just become more confusing. I think that at times, a dead short and a complete open at the same time could be the most frustrating thing I've ever had to track down. But God willin' I might have it going yet tonight...

Posted on: 2023/4/21 19:05
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Sorry for the late response, and thanks for all the help. Ross was right. I crossed the wires on the solenoid. Lots of reasons, but no excuses. It was good practice to R&R the solenoid and voltage regulator. Pics wouldn't necessarily be helpful, except to show wire placement on the voltage regulator. Not a bad idea to mark the solenoid leads, too.

This may be obvious to the readership of this forum, but do not try replacing the starter solenoid in the dark, with the battery hooked up, even if you've seen these components a million times. I was very fortunate that there was no permanent damage to myself or my electrical system. BTW there were slight differences between mounting the original voltage regulator and my new one, so I just put the old one back on, and the new one back in the trunk.

Posted on: 2023/5/29 14:22
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved