Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

humanpotatohybrid, JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

White wall product inquiry
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
This is not specifically Packard related, although I am looking to use it on my Packards. I have Wide Whites that started yellowing. I have always used, and still use Bleche White. I used it the other day on those yellowing white walls and they are back to being nice and bright.

My question relates to tire shine products. I have a bottle of Black Magic Tire Wet that I want to spray on the black of the tire to shine it up. My question specifically is, does anyone have any idea if it will cause any odd staining if I get it on those now bright whites? I suppose I could just spray it on a cloth or sponge and just wipe it on where needed, but frankly, my legs, knees, and back don't work as well as they used to and even that relatively easy task manages to take a day to recover from. Any one with insight on this? The bottle and their website doesn't say anything about not getting it on white walls.

Posted on: 2023/4/26 14:31
 Top  Print   

Re: White wall product inquiry
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On my white walls, I use a "magic eraser" soaked in the same soapy water I use to wash the car in.

A lot of the white wall tire manufacturers especially say not to use Bleche White or other harsh chemicals.

Posted on: 2023/4/26 14:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On my Bedford tires I've found just soapy water and a soft bristle brush to be adequate. These white walls have not exhibited "yellowing".

The current Bleche-White (by Black Magic) is an entirely different and less aggressive formulation than the original Westley's Bleche-White. Same trade name, different products.

Posted on: 2023/4/26 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thanks guys. I’m cool with the white walls. They are clean and bright. My question is if anyone knows if that Tire Magic (or similar products), applied to the black rubber of the tire after the fact, would discolor the white wall portion of the tire if it were hit by overspray or drip down. I’m trying to avoid finding out the hard way.

Posted on: 2023/4/26 18:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've not had an issue with it. I spray it on, and the wipe it off so it doesn't drip. Also I think it makes the tires look more natural and glossy.

Posted on: 2023/4/26 18:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm afraid that it's the Bleche White itself that is causing it. It somehow subtly alters the surface structure of the rubber making it very susceptible to discoloration as I discovered when I used to use it on my 1952. Even using it only once is enough to damage them and the only fix is to replace the tires. Just use soap, water and a sponge.

I found this online and countless others that were similar:

Quote:
Is bleach white bad for your tires?

Your choice of cleaning product is critically important. A common misconception about the best way to clean white wall tires is to use harsh chemicals like bleach and alcohol, but these can cause yellowing over time.

Posted on: 2023/4/27 0:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Sunlight has a yellowing effect on many materials. Protecting tires from sunlight exposure may help prevent yellowing. Tires exude a waxlike material over time and this can discolor both black and white rubber and trap road film and make tires look shabby. The film is rather hard to remove, and removing it may accelerate tire decay. Removing the film and coating the cleaned surface with some material might be helpful. Some whitewalls seem to yellow from within. I doubt if those could be cleaned effectively.

Posted on: 2023/4/27 7:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Uh, folks, Bleche White is just a strong detergent. There is no bleach. I've had no problem with it at all in the last 40 years I have been using it. It is also handy for degreasing parts before painting as it rinses off so well.

And on the internet I have also read that it makes your tires deflate. Yah.

Posted on: 2023/4/27 10:14
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
My tires are 2 years old now, still look brand new to me. All I have done so far is to wash them when I wash the rest of the car....soap and water.

Like CartRich originally asked, I'm interested to know if applying tire shine will hurt or help. I have not done that yet to my tires because I worry that it will discolor.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/27 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Inflating tires with nitrogen rather than air might help prevent yellowing. It won't hurt anything, and is supposed to give more stable tire pressure with less variation due to temperature changes.

Posted on: 2023/4/27 12:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved