Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear Axle Bearings
Just popping in
Just popping in

Howard Gordon
See User information
Need to replace rear wheel bearings and race on my 34 Standard 8 Packard. Have the parts, how do I install?

Posted on: 2023/6/14 10:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Axle Bearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Howard, Not sure this will help, but you could familiarize yourself with the basics of the task by going to The Duchess Project starting at post #443 and starting step by step at post #469. Its something to do until someone who knows how to do it on a ‘34 responds. Lots of pictures along the way.

Posted on: 2023/6/14 11:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A very straight forward job. Remove the axle shafts, press off the old bearings and press on the new ones. Pack with fresh wheel bearing grease. Setting the axle shaft end play is unique to this construction as, due to the dual opposed bearings on each shaft you'll have to set the end play separately for each shaft independent of the other. Adjustment is made by adding or subtracting shims behind the INNER bearing race so you might end up removing the inner race more than once - not fun! The shims if needed are easily made from sheet shim stock. If you search a bit on this site you'll find a post on a very simply made tool to facilitate measuring the shaft end play.

I strongly suggest replacing the inner and outer seals.

This thread from the last time I repacked the bearings on my 1934 Eight might be helpful to you.https://packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=266&start=10

PS - just to be correct, your Packard is a Eight, not a Standard Eight. The word Standard as part of the model name was dropped after 1932.

Attach file:

jpg  34 rear wheel bearing assy.jpg (120.50 KB)
177_648a3fade240d.jpg 874X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/6/14 17:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Howard Gordon,
to PackardInfo.

Besides replacing your rear wheel bearings I invite you to "place" your '34 Eight in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/6/14 17:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved