Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 180

Todd W. White, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 29 »

Re: 1938 Super 8 1605 - adventures with a newbie
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If the radiator stay rods are loose, I can't think what else you'd do except loosen both running boards and any front fender to body bolts and try to shift one side back slightly and the other forward slightly.

There should be a little give in the rear fenders. If not, you might need to shim one running board to rear fender joint a little or loosen one or the other rear fender and shift it or them slightly.

Be sure the radiator & shell assy is not tilted left/right.

The car needs to be sitting level when making any adjustments and the tire pressure should be on spec.

Posted on: 2023/8/10 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
I used Meguiar's Hot Shine. I used two rags and sprayed the shine on the rag, not the tire....one for the white only, and one for the black only. The black part of the tire gets filthy and you don't want the dirty rag getting onto the clean white.

Thanks! I'm familiar with the Bleche White, but I hate how quickly it has to be re-done. Maybe this will help keep the wide whites pristine for a little longer.

Posted on: 2023/8/11 7:05
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On the '54 I just use a little soapy water and a magic eraser on the whitewalls.

Posted on: 2023/8/11 7:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Ugh. Still having fuel delivery issues. Another test drive this morning ended with the car dying right before I got to the road leading to our house. Only did half a mile. Luckily I was able to coast in off the main road. Couldn't get it to start or run again initially, so had to tow it to the shop with the truck.

Fuel cap on or off didn't matter. First filter on the back looked clear, but hardly any gas in it.

I was able to get it started after a bit and into the shop. Out of gear I can rev the engine and keep it at high RPMs with no signs of dying or struggling.

My guess is the fuel pump is the problem. I can't think of anything else. I will pull it off, and rebuild it again. Any other thoughts?

Attach file:

jpg  20230814_074337.jpg (158.92 KB)
1059_64da42f74f70d.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/8/14 10:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
I added a 6VDC electric pump to my 49, it fixed starting and idle issues. The electric pumps can be hooked up as the only pump or in parallel with the origional pump or as a booster.

Posted on: 2023/8/14 11:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I am so sorry for your fuel frustration. I am by no means a mechanic - however my experience is I now install an electric pump in all my vehicles. They are cheap, easy to install and whether for priming/starting after the car sits, or added oomph when climbing a hill in 100degree weather, I haven't had a fuel delivery problem in years.

I do encourage a fuel pressure regulator as some float-needle/seats are more sensitive than others. No more than 3-3.5lbs on the regulator.

Posted on: 2023/8/14 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
There may be a problem with the fuel tank internal pickup tube, either a pinole leak or some kind of obstruction.
I would also recommend a fuel pressure regulator be used in conjuction with an electric fuel pump.

Whatever you do, you'll have to have a clean gas tank and fuel line to have a dependable car.

It's equally important the the entire fuel line be free of any kind of obstruction, including tank sealer, debris, or any kind of dent or crimp.

Double check for anything that could add excess heat to the fuel line or pump.

Hot gasoline is very hard to pull with any pump, and most modern blends are worse in that regard than what used to be standard.

Posted on: 2023/8/14 12:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am also a believer in having a switch controlled electric pump located near the tank. There are two type pumps and both work well. The solenoid type will allow the mechanical pump to pull thru when it is off whereas a rotary type will generally require a dual bypass path with a check valve in the bypass line so fuel can be pulled around the electric pump. Downside to the solenoid type is noise, and to the rotary type, the extra plumbing needed.

As to your mechanical pump, one thing that has caught others is diaphragm tension. Not knowing exactly how the diaphragm is actuated in your specific pump it may be a non issue but on other pumps it is not. In addition to extreme wear and possible damage to the diaphragm, a tight diaphragm is unable to move full range and can provide too little fuel delivery per stroke or with one having extreme tension, the fuel delivered to the carb is often at too high a pressure for the float valve to shut off reliably.

If you did not have the arm pushed fully down to position the diaphragm at maximum travel before tightening the screws holding the halves together that might be something to try on the rework.

If your pump is the type where the arm is directly worked by the cam you might measure the lobe for any wear to make sure the cam is moving it full stroke. If there is a pushrod involved also make sure it is not worn so not delivering a full stroke.

Posted on: 2023/8/14 12:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Any paper filter will have some pressure drop, and the pressure drop will always increase with use.

If you are not seing debris in the rearmost filter, I'd suggest removing it entirely and replacing it with a length of new hose. I'd go over all the hose clamps in the system and be sure they're snug.

Sometimes the spring type clamps do a better job on small diameter installations than the screw type. They will also stay tight as the rubber hose takes a set, while giving a full 360 degree grip.

Any filter on the suction side of the system may cause problems, especially in summer weather and after the car begins to warm up. I'd stay with the bowl and screen on the fuel pump and make sure the screen is clean and free of corrosion and that the bowl gasket and washer are absolutely leak tight.

Posted on: 2023/8/14 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I always fit a low pressure 6V electric fuel pump into the line. Modern fuels are probably better suited for electric pump in tank and fuel injection systems. I found that my 46 Clipper mechanical pump struggled to pull fuel through the electric pump and filter. The mechanical pump is probably due for new valves. I also find that the available plastic inline filters are a tad small inlet and outlet at around 3.5mm. I drill mine out to 4mm to give a bit more flow. Probably makes no difference but it makes me feel better about the setup.

Posted on: 2023/8/14 17:49
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved