Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cleaning the air cleaner
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell
See User information
The manuals state to clean the air cleaner on my 33 and 34 Suber 8's to dip and rinse them in gasoline. Fast forward to the 21st century... What do you use to clean the air cleaner on these cars?

Posted on: 2023/11/5 21:28
1933 Packard Super 8 1003
1934 Packard Super 8 1104 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: cleaning the air cleaner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I use charcoal lighter fluid. Excellent solvency, essentially odor free, far less hazardous than gasoline.

Posted on: 2023/11/5 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
While I like OD's (Dave's) lighter fluid, I user odorless paint thinner as I almost always have a gallon can of it sitting on the shelf. Both are good solvents for oils, greases, and the gummy dirt laden mess found in a car's air cleaner. Both are relative safe to use when it comes to catching on fire. I would would advise against using gasoline or any extremely flammable hydrocarbon solvent.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 3:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
1-K kerosene is a good cleaner. Flammable, yes, but doesn't stink as bad as regular kero (or diesel) from the pump. Rather than flush, I pour some on a rag or pour some in an old tin can and dip a disposable brush and wipe away as much as I can from the target object.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 9:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved