Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Kanter disc brake conversion kits
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Hello,
I'm looking for information on Kanter disc brake conversion kit for my 53 Patrician. I searched the forum without luck. Was hoping to see some pictures of a kit and/or of it installed.

ABS Power Brake and Scarebird uses proprietary modified rotors but rest of their parts are off the shelf.

Wilwood uses all their own stuff. But it's the nicest kit with 4 piston calibers. All parts would have to be Wilwood.

kanter, I have an email in for more information on their kit.

I'd like to be able to just get replacement parts at an auto parts store vs going back to the company that makes/sold the kit. So if I need something quick, it can be had.

Unless I'm missing another source. Those 3 are the only ones I could find.

Thanks,
Earl

Posted on: 12/1 10:05
1953 Packard Patrician 400 Touring Sedan
*Factory AC
*3spd manual with overdrive
*Heater
*Backup lights
*Power steering
*Power brakes
*Windshield washer
*Driver's side spotlight mirror
*Spare tire remote valve
*Wonderbar radio
*Power antenna
*Rear radio speaker with dash volume control
*Original interior other than the carpet
 Top  Print   

Re: Kanter disc brake conversion kits
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Mopar_Earl if you do proceed with both the TV replacement and the front disk brakes would you consider the power brake swap first? I’m thinking there are a lot of forum members that would like to know if the power brake swap is acceptable with a drum / drum equipped car. I’m just thinking off the top of my head, but for a driveway stop or two wouldn’t a robust adjustment of the brake drag negate the need of a residual pressure valve for the front circuit? IIRC there was a poster that put together a front disk set-up from Ford pick-up parts that had the same wheel lug geometry.
dp

Posted on: 12/1 16:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Earl, I don't know if you saw this very old thread with a title of Kanter disc brake conversion and did not read thru to see if anyone actually made the change but it might have some information you could use.

Craigs 56 Panther website is gone as are most of the sub linked pages but a few main pages made the web archive and might also have some info.

Posted on: 12/1 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Quote:

DavidPackard wrote:
Mopar_Earl if you do proceed with both the TV replacement and the front disk brakes would you consider the power brake swap first? I’m thinking there are a lot of forum members that would like to know if the power brake swap is acceptable with a drum / drum equipped car. I’m just thinking off the top of my head, but for a driveway stop or two wouldn’t a robust adjustment of the brake drag negate the need of a residual pressure valve for the front circuit? IIRC there was a poster that put together a front disk set-up from Ford pick-up parts that had the same wheel lug geometry.
dp

I would believe the kit would be too touchy for drum/drum. Drum brakes work at lower pressure then disc. So you need less booster size and ideally a single booster. I will ask them if they offer a kit for drum/drum.

Residual valves are needed for all drum brakes. It keeps pressure on the wheel cylinder cups and against pistons. 10 psi. The treadle-vac has a residual valve as does all OE master cylinders on the drum circuit(s).

Disc brakes only need a residual valve if the master is at or below the calipers. It prevents the brake fluid from draining back to the master and causing more pedal travel. You would use a 2 psi valve. Now if you have a remote master like in the booster kit, you wouldn't need the caliper residual valve provided the remote reservoir(s) is higher than the calipers to prevent drain back.

Thanks,
Earl

Posted on: 12/1 20:22
*Factory AC
*Heater
*Backup lights
*Power steering
*Power brakes
*Windshield washer
*Spare tire remote valve
*Wonderbar radio
*Power antenna
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
I talked to a guy at Kanter today. He didn't have any information for me, which I thought was odd. No pictures, no instructions. He emailed the company that makes the kits for them for instructions. He did say most of the parts are shelf parts. Well that was pretty vague. But I could easily contact them for parts and they contact the vendor. Sounds like some turnaround. Well if I need a part quickly, that's not going to do me any good.lol I don't think people understand that some people actually drive and use their collector cars. If I'm halfway across the country on a route 66 trip and I need a brake part, I want to be able to hit an auto parts store. Most get twice daily deliveries, so even if they didn't stock it, you could likely have it the same day or next morning.

Another concern with any proprietary parts if they go out of business or discontinue the kit/parts. Or choose another vendor for the kits. Could find yourself with some parts you can't replace. Seems the rotors are the only part modified. Scarebird and Abs Power Brake are. Wouldn't be surprised if Kanter's rotors are modified too. Wilwood rotors aren't, but can't just buy Wildwood brake parts just anywhere. Hopefully I can get more information on the Kanter kit.

Earl

Posted on: 12/1 20:38
*Factory AC
*Heater
*Backup lights
*Power steering
*Power brakes
*Windshield washer
*Spare tire remote valve
*Wonderbar radio
*Power antenna
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Earl, I don't know if you saw this very old thread with a title of Kanter disc brake conversion and did not read thru to see if anyone actually made the change but it might have some information you could use.

Craigs 56 Panther website is gone as are most of the sub linked pages but a few main pages made the web archive and might also have some info.

Thanks! Yes, that thread came up on my search. Read all 6 pages, nothing really on the Kanter disc brake kits. All about the dreaded treadle-vac.

Earl

Posted on: 12/1 20:47
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bjorn
See User information
Have just put one of Kanter's disc brake "kits" on a -46 Clipper. It came with a 4.5" bolt circle. I have spent quite some time modifying the bolt circle and changing the brackets in order to correct it so that the calipers should come true to the rotors and to make the mounting points to line up. Definitively not worth $944...
Bjorn

Posted on: 12/4 18:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bjorn,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '46 Clipper in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 12/4 19:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Quote:

Bjorn wrote:
Have just put one of Kanter's disc brake "kits" on a -46 Clipper. It came with a 4.5" bolt circle. I have spent quite some time modifying the bolt circle and changing the brackets in order to correct it so that the calipers should come true to the rotors and to make the mounting points to line up. Definitively not worth $944...
Bjorn

Sorry to hear that! The sales person that called me from my email didn't know anything about the kits. I don't believe I will seek anymore info from them. I will probably just go with the Wilwood kit.

Thanks
Earl

Posted on: 12/4 21:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bjorn
See User information
The kit they sell is actually from ABS Power Brake in CA so it's not their own product. Still think they should at least tell you that you can't use the original Packard wheels without changing the bolt circle. When it comes to poor fitment, maybe a CAD failiure?
Bjorn

Posted on: 12/4 22:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved