Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 246

Gary Kulp, JD in KC, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 128 129 130 (131) 132 133 134 ... 147 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Since Kev's 54 deluxe is the same as my 55 Deluxe, I am confident that the 54 Panama is the same as a 55. Here's a 55.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20231207-140431_Chrome.jpg (922.35 KB)
225076_657218087e532.jpg 1440X3040 px

Posted on: 12/7 14:07
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Here is what they look like on my 53 carib. Same style as the 56 shown before. Next question is what color should your's be? I guess blue to contrast.

Attach file:

jpg  20231207_213815.jpg (4,178.38 KB)
657_657231994f920.jpg 4000X3000 px

jpg  20231207_213737.jpg (4,513.91 KB)
657_657231abe9df4.jpg 4000X3000 px

Posted on: 12/7 15:57
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for all the input! I never would've thought that robe rails would be so interesting. Howard, I had no idea of the internal construction, so that information is very helpful.

It looks like my rails are the same as the '56 Patrician and '53 Caribbean. You can see the imprint of the chrome piece left on the seat (picture is rotated.... Taken in portrait mode, but the website changed to landscape).

Click to see original Image in a new window

Color is good question. The blue would give it good contrast. But would it be me of the seat material, or would it be the same as the windlace? The '54 Caribbean had it the same color as the top of the seat, so who knows.

Kevin

Posted on: 12/7 17:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, they must be the same as the Caribbeans style. The 54 sedans only use a single screw on each end which goes through the end, through the loop on the chain and into then metal on the seat back frame.

Posted on: 12/7 17:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many have said Packard started going cheap after the 50 models and it certainly appears to be true. 47 robe rail chain fastens onto a 6 piece spring loaded shock or plunger affair that is in the seat back at each end. The later models took that down to a single pot metal piece at each end and apparently no shock mechanism only held by a couple of screws.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2684.jpeg (70.83 KB)
209_657248a42c513.jpeg 1280X230 px

Posted on: 12/7 17:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Can confirm there's definitely no shock mechanism in my 55 Deluxe. Kinda wondered about that before. When you yank on it, it don't budge.

Of course the 55 400 has a completely different design.

Posted on: 12/7 18:24
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Switching gears for a second. I had to shuffle the Panama out of the shop for a work party, and had the hardest time getting it started. Electrical issue. Basically just loud click and nothing, over and over. Battery fully charged. Finally got it started, warmed up, driven, and moved to a different spot. Looked at my new battery cable and noted what looks like burning on the inside.

My assumption is the starter is drawing way too many amps and causing these burns. I plan to rebuild the starter this winter. Am I correct in this assumption?

Posted on: 12/8 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If there is oxidation on the battery terminal or inside the cable terminal or a bad fit and poor contact between the battery and cable terminals the high current can cause overheating and a bluish color on a shiny connector. Oxidation can develop in a few hours and what was a good fast start one day is not happening the next. Symptoms are exactly as you describe with either a very slow crank or nothing but clicks from the solenoid.

A poor solder or crimp connection or corrosion developing between the wire and terminal can also cause concentrated heating of the terminal. If there is a hidden corrosion condition in the wire to terminal connection it can become bad enough there is no contact with the terminal at all.

Posted on: 12/8 12:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Couple of questions.

1.) I'm wanting to clean up and paint the engine this winter. I'm seriously considering pulling the engine. The more I think about it, the more it seems like the logical thing to do. I have a few leaks I need to fix (front and rear main seal, and oil pan), I'd like to have the manifolds cleaned up and coated, and I never pulled the water distribution tube and cleaned the block out. All of this (especially cleaning and painting the engine) seems easier with the engine out.

Is it easier to pull with or without the transmission? What exactly are the steps to pulling it? I've never done it on my own. Unhook wires, throttle linkage, hoses, remove fan, etc. Where do I lift from? Hood off? I would love some guidance here.

2.) Are these holes in the hood (4 in the front, 2 on the sides) supposed to have rubber bumpers in them?

Posted on: 12/21 23:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Round bumpers in the front, wedge shaped bumpers along the sides.

Pulling the front clip makes getting to motor out much easier, otherwise that's a long heavy awkward motor to get put over the top of the core support.

Posted on: 12/21 23:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 128 129 130 (131) 132 133 134 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved