Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Re: Resurrecting my 56’ Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea on the Ultrasonic cleaning but if you use a replacement 3 terminal switch such as the VW 3 terminal, many have reported they do not seem to last long.

The accepted 3 terminal replacement that gets good reviews is the commonly available and relatively inexpensive 2 terminal switch as used on conventional suspension cars along with a relay to provide the switching for the TL. The other switch getting good reviews is a mechanical switch mounted on a bracket to the steering column inside the car and operated by the brake pedal arm.

The relay and two terminal is easy to do and Dwight Heinmuller has kits for the mechanical option or you can build your own there too.

Here is a diagram showing one way to make an easy to build relay replacement and there are other versions with slightly different wiring. Also, a mechanical switch drawing for 56 models with the wide pedal arm to the left of the steering column. 55 models with the narrow arm on the right need a different bracket.

Attach file:

jpg  Brake Switch Relay Replacement.jpg (134.57 KB)
209_65459def7e308.jpg 1079X800 px

jpg  brake sw replacement loom.jpg (169.80 KB)
209_65459e0b4d85d.jpg 1200X900 px

jpg  Mech Brake Switch.jpg (162.39 KB)
209_65459e1c04f67.jpg 1149X657 px

Posted on: 2023/11/3 20:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Personally I don’t like to add complications to an already simple good design so maybe those buying the VW switch have been getting cheapies. Even so, I would prefer having to replace it once in a while than to have all the extra wires, switches and relays!

Posted on: 2023/11/3 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The site told me the first time in red that I had exceeded my time even though I had been online for only a couple minutes so when I posted again, the message was there twice! This is the second one overwritten.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 20:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Just reconnoitering the site and clicked on Packard Paint Cross Reference Index.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/paintxref/index.php
Having a 56’ I noted my paint color Corsican Black, paint scheme V with no modern manufacturing or codes. I thought no big deal, just drop down a lower year to see what modern color is for those years black. I went down the list to 1929 and failed to note another black. Did come across moonstone. Curious as to what color that is. The internet listed several variances for moonstone. Is 1956 the first-year black was available on a Packard? Also, did not see it listed for a 57’ or 58’.

Posted on: 2023/11/5 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Black was available in most if not all years but was often not shown as a color chip on the charts. Where it is listed it is usually just a line mention of scheme or paint code X and description Black. Ditzler charts have a mfg code DAL-9100 along with the name Black in among the colors chips while other brand charts do not mention Black at all or hide a mention as a footnote or placed in with printing describing something else.

Here is a listing from a 54 Ditzler chart.

Attach file:

jpg  chart.jpg (83.47 KB)
209_6547ec606c74d.jpg 1382X486 px

Posted on: 2023/11/5 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
To confirm what HH56 noted, black was a common color scheme for Packards and was probably offered every year they were built. It was a very popular color, especially prior to WWII. I've seen a number of solid black Packards and even had a couple, like my 1951 200 Club Sedan which I owned in the early 1990's. See picture below. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the ID plate, but as I recall, it indicated "X" for color scheme, which meant Black on the color charts.

I was going to restore this car, but the poor thing was almost rusted in half. I sold it to a collector in Pennsylvania and he did restore it. It came out great, but he decided to paint it metallic grey as he really didn't like black. Go figure.

Note that in this photo, the paint on the car is factory original. It had come from the estate of the original owner and had never had any restoration work done to it. But after a number of years of outdoor storage, it had deteriorated to the point where a full restoration was the only option if the car was to be saved.

Attach file:

jpg  51_200ClubSedan_1.jpg (349.99 KB)
225503_654835336d003.jpg 2048X1583 px

Posted on: 2023/11/5 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Going back to the brake light switch. After hearing the issues with the pressure switches and availability I just went with the mechanical switch route that bolts to the column on the inside of the car. Simple enough modification to do and so far both cars (patrician and caribbean) have been working fine with no issues

Posted on: 2023/11/7 11:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Just an update:
I have disassembled, ultrasonic cleaned, and reassembled my backup carburetor after I had a short back and forth with Chicago Carburetor about the gaps in the base plate to bowl gasket. They assured me these were required. While trying to locate any vacuum leaks, I did discover one of my exhaust manifold gaskets was askew. The bolt missed the hole, and I missed the mistake. That has been fixed. New gaskets and new bolts. Did find a leak though. The metal tube going into the vacuum reservoir for the power brakes, easily slides up and down in the top of the tank in the driver’s fender. It is on the list of issues to address. I installed the 2nd carb yesterday and with the whole 40 minutes of daylight left after work, I started the car and allowed it to warm up. Connecting the vacuum gauge to a port before the one-way port for the brakes and blocking off the line for the brakes, I witness 20” of vacuum on choke, then after the choke was fully opened, it stayed close to 15-16”, only going to 20 with a slight rev of the throttle. Again, I adjusted the fuel mixtures screws ¼ of a turn at time, in and out with no real change in vacuum. I know its operator error; I just do not know what I am doing wrong. The only source of vacuum that is not blocked off or gauged is the vacuum advance to the distributor. I will continue to watch the you-tube videos, but they seem more for the 70’s 4 barrels. I also purchase a car cover. It came vacuum packed, and when I released the vacuum, it opened, its huge. Did not mentally connect how big the Packard is till I tried to carry a bag for it.

Attach file:

jpg  20231213_163059.jpg (3,083.59 KB)
225242_657ba087404b3.jpg 2992X2992 px

jpg  vacuum path with arrow.jpg (2,622.52 KB)
225242_657ba11e79924.jpg 2992X2992 px

jpg  gaps in gasket with arrows.jpg (3,235.46 KB)
225242_657ba12cb3af1.jpg 2992X2992 px

Posted on: 12/14 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Marvin wrote:
Just an update:
I have disassembled, ultrasonic cleaned, and reassembled my backup carburetor after I had a short back and forth with Chicago Carburetor about the gaps in the base plate to bowl gasket. They assured me these were required.

With my kit they included a paper with a bit of an explanation of why they are there.

Posted on: 12/14 20:44
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Your gasket looks wrong see this video
which explains different gaskets on Rochester 4GC carb.
Mikes carb repair video on 4gc
Cinema ModeOff
Rochester 4GC 4 Jet Carburetor Throttle Body Gasket Leak

https://www.carburetor-parts.com is providing this free video about the Rochester 4GC carburetor. This video illustrates how to check the throttle body gasket for vacuum leaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-PVTh5Sji4

Posted on: 12/15 13:40
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved