Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

TxGoat, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 483 484 485 (486) 487 488 489 ... 500 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
That sideswipe could be repaired in one long afternoon with the aid of the Patrician rear door. Cut and paste. I know the folks that have the car and they and their restoration shop have a fine reputation.

As I shuffle through the stuff for sale on line it is rather plain that the supply of Packards vastly exceeds demand.

I notice this, too, both with generally plentiful numbers of cars for sale and the time on the market. Hell, at this rate, I plan to live long enough to acquire a couple of Depression era rides, the ones I drooled over as a pimply-faced teenager.

Dad kinda predicted this. Kids today don't what what a "Packard" is.

Posted on: 12/23 13:49
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The raccoon car appears to be a coupe, and it looks like it has a pre-war gearshift on the floor... radio...also an automatic column shift lever.

Posted on: 12/23 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

JWL wrote:
The ad on the 55 Deluxe says it is a manual transmission car. For $500 one could have all the parts for a transmission conversion. Cheap at twice the price.

Nice catch, I believe that is correct as there is no trans dipstick by the heater core as there would be in an automatic. This car also has a much deeper trans oil pan (i.e. the lip is much higher) than the Ultras, visible in the shot under the car.

On the other hand, the 'coon car has two transmission sticks, no clutch pedal nor apparent hole for one, and no transmission either. Makes ya wonder...

Posted on: 12/23 21:48
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Regarding the apparent oversupply of Packard cars on the market. I personally spend quite a bit of time every week looking on FB Marketplace, Craigslist and other sites for Packards and posting the links here. There are indeed a lot of cars out there, particularly post-war models in rough condition. There are too many project cars and not enough people left to restore them. Sadly, a great many of these cars I fear are going to be lost. I see the some of the same cars for sale for months, even years. With restoration costs so high, I can't blame anyone for being reluctant to take on a major project. A full restoration will cost far more than the car will be worth in the end and many projects end up being abandoned. I recently looked at a 1941 120 Convertible Coupe that had been abandoned part way through the restoration process. The car was completely disassembled and only some of the bodywork had been completed. The seller had well over $60K in the car and was not even half finished. He probably could have bought a well restored example for what he had invested up to this point. With so many good, restored cars available in a now shrinking market, it just makes much more economic sense to buy an already restored car as opposed to spending a huge amount of time and money into bringing back another car. I suppose it is inevitable.

Posted on: 12/24 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
A '38 Twelve Formal Sedan, magnificent, ready to proudly enjoy, not cheap:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/elkhorn-1938-packard-formal-sedan-v12/7699345274.html

CL Packard listings have thinned out badly, one supposes the free Fb listing is where they have gone to avoid the $5.00 CL charges. When cars are over-priced relative to what they are and their condition, running an advertisement for an over-priced car that won't sell can get expensive.

The older collector car surplus is rampant for all makes relative to demand. Independent makes suffer a bit worse because the current generation of potential buyers have little or no exposure or experience with them. That makes it doubly important to attend shows and cruise nights with your Packard to bring along those who are open-minded enough to consider a Packard for their hobby vehicle. Just as important is to be a good ambassador by being friendly and welcoming and patient with the questions, speaking respectfully so the younger enthusiasts perceived they are being treated as such is critical as well.

Steve

Posted on: 12/25 14:56
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I hauled my recent rust bucket acquisition from the place Back East to the place Out West where my Packards (and Fred) reside. I stopped for fuel and food and when I came out of the store, there was a family inspecting my haul. They all vamooshed when they saw me coming. Oh well. When I'm going down the road, it seems to be the bikers who have the highest batting average of turning their heads to look.

Posted on: 12/25 19:08
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Not only is driving your Packard the cheapest, easiest maintenance you can do, it also helps the resale value of all our cars and gives the name a posterity.

Clippy had his big day out on Friday: delivered a '53 block to the machine shop for boring, took me to some mountain bike trails, then to a favorite restaurant, posed in front of the Shenandoah PA Packard dealer, stopped at an industrial ruin to explore, then took me to a terrific farmer's market where I buy the best smoked chipped beef on the east coast, then stopped at Bob's Packard parts and picked up a water pump on the way home. All told, 290 delightful miles--and made many people smile and ask questions.

Just think: 6 volts. Points. Drum brakes. Single braking system. Freezing temperatures. Delightful. Packard built great cars.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2672.jpg (2,907.84 KB)
618_658a1b0b4f496.jpg 3024X3883 px

jpg  IMG_2673.jpg (3,166.30 KB)
618_658a1b482255f.jpg 3017X3766 px

Posted on: 12/25 19:10
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:

Just think: 6 volts. Points. Drum brakes. Single braking system. Freezing temperatures.

How did you ever survive?!

:)

Posted on: 12/25 19:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Quote:

Ross wrote:

Just think: 6 volts. Points. Drum brakes. Single braking system. Freezing temperatures.

How did you ever survive?!

:)

Growing up, I can remember dad going to the garage to run the engine a while to warm it up and then covering the hood with a blanket in hopes of improving the chance of a start in the morning.

Posted on: 12/26 7:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Jim in Boone wrote:
[quote]

Growing up, I can remember dad going to the garage to run the engine a while to warm it up and then covering the hood with a blanket in hopes of improving the chance of a start in the morning.

Saw this video a while back:

Posted on: 12/26 9:26
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 ... 483 484 485 (486) 487 488 489 ... 500 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved