Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 233

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 129 130 131 (132) 133 134 135 ... 147 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Round bumpers in the front, wedge shaped bumpers along the sides.

Pulling the front clip makes getting to motor out much easier, otherwise that's a long heavy awkward motor to get put over the top of the core support.

Wedge bumpers even on the hood side? I have the 6 wedge bumpers that mount to the fenders (3 on each side).
**EDIT*** - figured this out. Parts list shows 6 wedge bumpers on fenders, and 4 round bumpers on hood opposing the splash shield.

Yeah, I might just be able to do most of the work I need with the front removed. I'm not super excited about doing that, which is why I asked about what is involved with pulling the motor. I guess either way it's going to be a lot of work.

-Kevin

Posted on: 12/22 0:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, nothing on the hood sides. The wedges were only on the fenders.

As for the engine removal, I have always found it easier to remove the engine and transmission as an assembly as disconnecting the torque converter from the flex plate white it's in the car is very difficult.

Posted on: 12/22 3:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, sorry, wedge ones are on the fenders. The side holes are empty. Not sure what their epurpose was.

Posted on: 12/22 8:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
We're completely gutting the interior of the Panama today. I'm removing all the trim to repaint it all. We almost have the dash out, but ran into some unknowns.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Everything is loose and ready to come out, but this center nut is just spinning the bolt. This is the bracket supporting the steering column.

Also not sure how to get the steering column surround off. I know I need to disconnect the wiper cable at the wiper motor, but can't figure out how the rest of the column is supposed to come off. What an I missing here?

Kevin

Posted on: 1/1 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Undo the shift linkage from the lever in the engine compartment. Loosen the clamp that holds the column to the steering gear. Remove your floor plate and unscrew the rubber collar where it passes through the firewall. Remove the bottom clamp at the edge of the dashboard. Yank. And turn.

Then you can deal with the rusty bolt that retains the upper half of the column clamp to the dash.

Posted on: 1/1 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is also a concave ring around the steering shaft that forms the inner race for the bearing. It can be tight to the shaft and could be giving resistance. If you remove it before trying to pull the shroud and column it may help.

The rusty bolt may need a nut splitter if repeated soaks with penetrating fluid has not allowed it to loosen. Amazon has some offset types that should be able to get to it.

Posted on: 1/1 15:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Ross and Howard. With your help I was able to get it out. The weird brake system the previous guy installed made it more difficult than it needed to be.

The last bolt on the brace was seized and stripped after much effort. So I drilled it out. I'll need to replace it.

Carnage:

Lots of work to do now

Posted on: 1/1 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
And for your viewing pleasure, I put together a video of everything from start to finish. Hopefully this helps some other newbs as they try to tackle their projects. I figure one way I can help promote Packard automobiles is to help put a presence on YouTube. That's my go-to place for technical how-to and there is very little Packard content. Thankfully we have some good videos by Ross, BigKev, and HPH, as well as some older ones from Wes. Hopefully I can contribute some to that.

Posted on: 1/2 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Mission creep. I'm finding it hard to keep the list of projects from slowly exploding. With the dash out, I can clearly see all the wiring and I think "why not replace the whole wiring harness while I'm in here?". Then I look at the windlace I need to install and think "why not paint the door jambs to match the body color while I'm in here?". Then I think "why not just go ahead and paint the whole car the correct Ivory Blue?". Spiraling out of control.

I'm trying to keep myself in check. Currently working through everything I've removed and am prepping things for paint. Still need to get a bunch of supplies.

-Kevin

Posted on: 1/3 19:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Such is the life of a dedicated old car person. It starts with the items you mentioned and then it goes something like "that new such and such looks so good but now the item next to it that used to look in really good shape now looks like crap so it needs to be done". From there it goes "if that is done it makes something else --- etc, etc, etc" and it doesn't end until the car is completely redone or the significant other has put the foot down because the wallet was empty, budget was blown, and you were caught thinking out loud how to mortgage the firstborn.

Posted on: 1/3 21:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 129 130 131 (132) 133 134 135 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved