Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

New to Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Hello. I was looking at a 48 4dr "bathtub" sedan in good solid condition. I'm not a huge Packard fan, but I've always liked that style. The car is mostly complete (I think...) and runs well. Missing the air cleaner and seems to only need tires, exhaust, a headlight and back-up light lens. Is there any peculiar problems and quirks to these models or any parts extremely difficult to find? I'm looking at this car as an occasional driver. I own an Edsel and I manage to keep it running and driving good so I'm willing to work on some challenges.

Attach file:

jpg  (238.58 KB)
1470_49ef7fe37afaa.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/20 19:34
 Top  Print   

Re: New to Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mechanical parts should not be too hard to come by for most things. You didn't say which engine but the senior 356 engine parts and senior trim might be the hardest and most expensive to acquire. If you can provide a vehicle number off the Left cowl and motor number off the block above & to rear of distributor, will help narrow down what you have and any problems. Should be one of the more plentiful Packards in various parts yards though.

Other than the Electromatic clutch option being a bit of a PIA to set up & keep adjusted properly, nothing comes to mind as to issues. If you have the option, most just turn it off and admire how it looks.

There are some real experts on the 48-50's here so help will be readily available.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 19:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Chuckltd wrote:........looking at a 48 4dr "bathtub" sedan in good solid condition........

G'day Chuckltd,
to PackardInfo, plenty of experienced, knowledgeable and friendly Packard people here who can help if required. Can you please include the '48 in the Owner Registry if you do buy it? Including a pic, any known history and how you came to acquire it.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 2:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Welcome to PackardInfo! I think a 48 would be a fine cohabitant to your Edsel. The 48 shouldn't be to hard to find parts for, no tougher than any of the three years of Edsel. I own an Edsel and Packard and find them to be different yet each very fun in their own way.

Weather you buy this particular one or not, I hope there is a Packard in your future!

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/4/21 3:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Thanks so far. By looking at pics on ebay and on the web, I've determined that the car is most likely a Standard Eight. Brown or really dark tan interior with green exterior. It's not Serpentine green. Can't remember the name of the other green for this year. It appears to have antique lisence plates since 1982. That's also the date of last inspection. It's at a car lot in Old Forge, PA. The car was in the "front row" 2 years ago with a $9000 price tag. Since then it has moved to the back row next to a dumpster do to lack of interest and getting some weathering. I asked about it yesterday and they said $3000 takes it. Is that a fair price for this model? Due to the worn paint and chrome, I'd rate it as a low #3 to a #4.
Did these cars handle well? I drive mostly local but sometimes get out on the highway for an hour or 2 at speeds of 60 to 75 tops. I know that todays' speeds are harmful to some older cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (131.47 KB)
1470_49ef80230d3e6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/21 7:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
By the way, my Edsel is a 1959 ranger 2dr sedan. 6 cyl. auto and it's a slug when pulling out from a stop and has trouble with steep hills. OK on the highway at 60 to 70 tops, but has a terrible ride compared to most cars I've driven on rough roads.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
A picture is worth a thousand words - can you take one and post it? If they let you under the hood and in the cab, the more pictures the better. It won't tell us the hidden problems, but at least the obvious photos will give you a ball park figure. Check the rocker panels and for signs of leakage at the radiator, tranny and rear end.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 8:21
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I got one of the front end. Under the car looks good with only some seepage on rear and gearbox. Radiator looks ok but I won't know until I run it long enough. The only staining on it looks like from spilling. Interior is dirty and has some staining like a car that has sat for years. Only real damage is to the driver's door panel. A piece of fabric similar to the shape of Nevada is torn off. Has all hubcaps and both fender skirts are inside on backseat. I only snuck one photo as I had salesman bugging me and I was on lunch hour.

Attach file:

jpg  (178.39 KB)
1470_49ef806f21a60.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/21 12:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
At first glance this looks like a solid specimen. Chrome and stainless look good. Can you poke around a bit to look for rust problems (floors, trunk, rockers) just to make sure? I don't know the 48-50 models real well but if this runs and stops, $3K sounds very reasonable.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 12:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think it's an Eight Deluxe. Stainless trim over the side windows but base hood ornament.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 13:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved