Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 137 138 139 (140) 141 142 143 ... 147 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Howard - thanks for that info, that's good to know. The ignition switch is not original. It was replaced by the previous owner with something that is not Packard as far as I can tell. So hopefully not an issue within the switch itself. Possibly combination of wiring, worn brushes, poor connections.

Don - I couldn't figure out a better way to access that spot. It was awkward any way I tried. But at least the bolt wasn't seized and there was room behind the upper block and firewall to squeeze a wrench and my hand in there. I'm not looking forward to putting it back in.

-Kevin

Posted on: 3/7 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Would it have been any easier from underneath? I don’t recall having to struggle like that on my 1954 Patrician’s starter which has a huge solenoid that I thought was specific to the senior models. Unless it was changed for 1954, the juniors typically used a Bendix and had a small started relay (often mis-named as a solenoid) on top with good access around it for a long socket extension and universal socket..

Posted on: 3/7 14:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Would it have been any easier from underneath? I don’t recall having to struggle like that on my 1954 Patrician’s starter which has a huge solenoid that I thought was specific to the senior models. Unless it was changed for 1954, the juniors typically used a Bendix and had a small started relay (often mis-named as a solenoid) on top with good access around it for a long socket extension and universal socket..

There's no access to the upper bolt from underneath. I also could not fit a socket with extension in there. The solenoid is massive. From what I've seen on other '54 Panama's it is the right solenoid. The Panama's don't seem to follow the typical Clipper equipment. They seem to be a mishmash of junior and senior parts.

-Kevin

Posted on: 3/7 14:28
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
You can dress comm with 400 grit paper wet or dry, dry obviously. And in operational rotation You should clean slots and can do with a plastic knife with some modifications Hopefully copper still above slots. Brushes are gone., soften edges of new ones or even these if you try to reuse for a bit Looks like copper dust from wear on risers, and comm, but I don’t see any commotion on brush holders. So a bit of mystery without more pics. Bushing are oil lite bronze., should be soaked for a few days with lite machine oil, a very light smear of grease at assembly. All easy to do and check motor. Needs to be cleaned with a solvent that won’t dissolve the lacquer on windings, CRC electronic. Not a rebuild but if arm ok it will run.

Posted on: 3/7 15:28
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
According to the parts book, your starter should be Delco #1108027 (Packard PN 439486). Is that what you have? Other sources show replacement Bendix drives for 1108027 which implies that it is not the type with the large solenoid on top.

Posted on: 3/7 15:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My '54 uses a Delco starter, and the solenoid is purely electronic (a glorified relay) with no mechanical components.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/7 15:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
John - thank you, great info. I'll do those things.

Don - Yes, that's the correct part number. Looks like it was found only on the 54th series....5402-06-11-13-26-31.

BigKev - from what I can find, the '54 Clippers used the much smaller electronic solenoid. I would have to change starters in order to use a different relay.

Posted on: 3/7 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Is your solenoid the type that actually pulls the gear into engagement? I guess I should believe the parts book over a third-party supplier who may not know what fits what but your same starter, as you say, also fits my Patricians which is something of a surprise to me because I thought it was a 359-only starter that a Clipper wouldn’t have. The parts book says otherwise so I guess I was wrong! (Actually, I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.)

Posted on: 3/7 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I concur, removing the upper bolt on a Delco large solenoid starter is quite a chore. It’s a rotate 1/12 turn, flip the open-end wrench, rinse and repeat process, all while lying of the fender . . . quite lengthy and uncomfortable. IIRC I removed the left front wheel/tire to ‘kneel’ the chassis so I could have one foot on the ground. Clearly the starter was installed prior to the chassis/body marriage. The Army cadre had a saying about monkeys and footballs that must have been inspired by this job. Years ago when I swapped intake manifold gaskets on a Vortec 350 I made a ‘top-side creeper’ out of ¾ inch plywood. I suspect if I ever had to remove that Packard starter again, I would use the TS creeper and at least make myself comfortable.

Kevin, while I think you’ve found the root cause in the brushes, I would also investigate the solenoid contacts.

dp

Posted on: 3/7 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Don - Yes, it is the mechanical lever type. It's gigantic. Almost half the size of the starter itself (more like 1/4 but half sounds better).

David - That's exactly how it went. Small turn, flip the wrench, over and over for about 15 minutes. I don't want to do that again in the future if I can avoid it.

How do I check the solenoid contacts? I haven't looked closely to see if I can open it up or not.

-Kevin

Posted on: 3/7 19:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 137 138 139 (140) 141 142 143 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved