Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 139 140 141 (142) 143 144 145 »

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks, PM sent!

Posted on: 4/2 11:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the washer like dust seal in post 1407, a similar or maybe the same item was used on some postwar models. Those are a hard compressed fiber piece about 1/16 thick which on cars I have seen is not glued but rather free floats between the metal floor and rubber mat or carpet. The weight of the floor covering holds it close to the floor but allows slight movement to follow any changes in the rod angle.

Posted on: 4/2 11:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, now that you mention it, I've seen those too. I think the 1954 Patrician parts car that I've been disassembling has one and it's definitely not rubber. I was wondering when I first saw the photo how it stayed down and how it moved with the pedal's angle change so it makes sense that it was not rubber but rather something harder. That said, it seems a rather poor seal to an area that might experience fumes and gets road grime, being so low on the front of the body!

Posted on: 4/2 12:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many of the postwar cars also had a rubber accelerator boot or bellows that worked in conjunction with the fiber piece to better provide a dust and fume seal. You are correct that the hard fiber is not the most effective seal ever made but then neither were the rubber brake pedal and clutch arm seals. Most of those seemed to deteriorate or break at the tiny bellows portion with the flat sealing part that did the work falling off or pushed down away from the floor hole. Those seals let in larger amounts of air and fumes whenever a pedal was depressed than the tiny bit of slop in the fiber surrounding the accelerator rod..

Posted on: 4/2 13:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I was not aware of this seal. It makes sense and I will make one for mine. I will skip the slit as you can simple remove the pedal and drop it over the rod's shaft ball down to the floor and drop the carpet back down. Nice to keep a bit more of the fumes from creeping in!
Thanks!
Bob J.

Posted on: 4/2 13:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perhaps the slit is also there to help prevent binding?

Otherwise, I would make sure to make the center hole with enough slop to prevent that.

Posted on: 4/2 13:54
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I remember the later seals the slit is there not so much for binding but so you can slide it over the rod. IIRC the hole is just a slight bit larger than the rod and ball is too large for the hole

Posted on: 4/2 14:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
On a side note, when I was looking at the parts book, I came across GRP 9.015 PN 338580 (Surps: 316169), which is listed as Weather Seal, Pedal Push Rod. I see that Max Merrit has it listed, but Steele does not.

Is this just a simple flat piece of rubber with a hole and a slit that is glued to the toeboard? The picture on Max's website makes it appear that way. They have it listed for all models 1935-1947.

Click to see original Image in a new window

It is about 1/32" thick and 1-13/16" outside diameter, fairly rigid and just floats on the push rod. not glued to the toe board.

Posted on: 4/2 14:48
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perfect, thanks!

Posted on: 4/2 16:43
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Does the rug hold it down?

Posted on: 4/2 17:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 139 140 141 (142) 143 144 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved