Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

winger, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: LED brake light/turn signal bar
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Confirmed what Scott said! The park lights are obviously amber,
; the tail lights are red LEDs (rather than white). Another user told me the white light would "overpower" the lens. Took that advice; no regrets!

Posted on: 4/11 23:42
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I use these headlights which work for both 6v and 12v cars and are polarity insensitive. They look period-correct too with no dimming down at idle as conventional bulbs to.

Posted on: 4/12 2:33
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Has anyone with the two bulb tail light housings which use the separate turn signal bulb switched to LEDs? If so was it a noticeable improvement? 41-2 conventional and the Clipper based cars thru 22nd series used this two bulb arrangement. While the single LED bulb in the 23rd series housing doing both functions is quite nice, am curious on earlier cars with the dual bulbs if the turn signal flashing above the brake light could still be seen very well if the much brighter brake light was on. With incandescent bulbs the turn signal is visible in daylight but IMO, a bit weak.

The photo is of a Clipper thru 22nd series car with the horizontal split housing and shared lens.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/12 10:46
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
I watched that video of your tail lights and they are really bright. Those look great.

Posted on: 4/12 13:20
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Joe wrote:
Ugh, what a nightmare. Hope that it's able to come back together smoothly.

I will say, the LED bulbs are a pretty amazing upgrade. I did this recently with my 2302. Here's how they look at least in the garage, 6v positive ground and all.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JnYI3BYb9V8?si=QtH_R-rjy1pdWkAG

What all did you need to do for this upgrade, outside of changing the bulbs? New flasher? Did you need to add load resistors for the signal lights?

Posted on: 4/12 14:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Bulbs and flasher were all it took. I had some of their 6 Ohm, 25 Watt "load equalizers" on hand just in case there was an issue with resistance. I will say, the back lights did initially give me a scare - you can't use one incandescent and one LED at the same time. The incandescent will work; the LED will not. Once they were both LEDs, the bulbs functioned as they should.

I need to do another video with at least the park lights on to demonstrate the difference between the running light and an active signal. Will work on that!

Posted on: 4/12 23:20
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Has anyone with the two bulb tail light housings which use the separate turn signal bulb switched to LEDs? If so was it a noticeable improvement? 41-2 conventional and the Clipper based cars thru 22nd series used this two bulb arrangement. While the single LED bulb in the 23rd series housing doing both functions is quite nice, am curious on earlier cars with the dual bulbs if the turn signal flashing above the brake light could still be seen very well if the much brighter brake light was on. With incandescent bulbs the turn signal is visible in daylight but IMO, a bit weak.

The photo is of a Clipper thru 22nd series car with the horizontal split housing and shared lens.

I have not found a working solution to this arrangement. Using the solid state flasher (which by itself improved brightness) I've tried several different models of equivalent to original polarity-insensitive LED bulbs and they appear to all have crossfeed problems through the lamps with the internal circuitry. For instance, even with just the fronts switched to LED the rear operation is all messed up, with brake, park and turn lamps not operating normally.

Posted on: 4/15 12:49
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Joe wrote:
Bulbs and flasher were all it took. I had some of their 6 Ohm, 25 Watt "load equalizers" on hand just in case there was an issue with resistance. I will say, the back lights did initially give me a scare - you can't use one incandescent and one LED at the same time. The incandescent will work; the LED will not. Once they were both LEDs, the bulbs functioned as they should.

I need to do another video with at least the park lights on to demonstrate the difference between the running light and an active signal. Will work on that!

Joe, Did you just do signal and park lights with LEDs? I'm thinking of changing my courtesy, back up, and dome light to LED as well.

Posted on: 4/15 19:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
I just did my brake and park lights, though I do have a couple green type 55 bulbs on order for both the instrument board light and the Ultramatic gearshift indicator light. My instrument board labels are just so dim (aside from the center two), I wanted to try something else to see if I can get the light to travel a little further to the edges. The Ultramatic gearshift indicator is bright, but I haven't been able to figure out how to direct the light from the bulb so it only goes through the green plastic filter that's in front of the bulb. I figure here, it'll get a little closer to the right color at least.

Posted on: 4/15 22:11
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved