Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Paint color for 1948 8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
I want to paint my 1948 engine does any one know the color it should be? Suggestions on where to get the paint? Also looking to either re chrome few parts or replace them need two head light rings and left rear bumper and full front bumper. Suggestion on whether to re chrome or replace would be appreciated. Thanks new member

Posted on: 2009/5/5 16:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Paint color for 1948 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome. Color depends on which engine you have. 356 would be green, rest I believe were gray but someone will correct if wrong. Hirsch usually has the painthttp://www.hirschauto.com/ as do most of the other vendors. Here's his selection in qt cans-also has spray cans.

For my two cents, rechrome the bumpers because I doubt you'll find anything much better. Anything else, depends on what it is.. Some things pot metal, others stainless. Should be relatively easy to find parts for your car so let us know and I'm sure someone can tell you who might have them.

Attach file:

jpg  (4.77 KB)
209_4a00afa0a7c03.jpg 324X33 px

Posted on: 2009/5/5 16:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Thanks for the info I have a 288 1948 model. Should have put that in my question.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
If it helps, I have a 1948 with 288 engine and it's Grey. But only on the areas that aren't rusty.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 16:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Richard,

to PackardInfo and for including your '48 Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan in the Owner Registry. Looks like you've got some work on your hands "Replacing a blown #8 piston and a bent intake and exhaust valve."

Posted on: 2009/5/5 17:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The 288s and 327s are gray. Bill Hirsch has it in spray or brush on. On another thread there was a discussion about rattle can paint that is available over the counter that matches.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 20:51
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I have seen what I believed were original 288's in both gray and Packard green. I have had good experience with the Hirsch paint.

There are 3 front bumper styles on 22nd series Juniors, as I recall. A "closed mouth" where the middle wider filler piece extends to the center, an "open mouth" where the filler piece is shorter, leaving an opening. The center portion was sometimes painted body color, sometimes chromed.
I'm referring to the horizontal part of the bumper, made up of upper and lower bars sandwhiching the filler pieces. Look at some photos and you can see the differences

Posted on: 2009/5/6 12:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some uncertainly about the engine colors in the 22nd and 23rd series regarding the 356 engines; no controvery for the series before or after. The 48-50 engines in green are the real controversy. I think there is no disagreement that the 288 and 327 were all gray and at least at one point that what both club's judging standards were for all 3 engines in the 22nd-23rd series (PAC still says all 48-50 were gray). Any 48-50 288 and 327 engines in green were probably repainted at some point. Don't know what PI's current position on this is, but no doubt someone will look it up and let us know.

Original and apparently un-repainted 356 engines have been found in both green and gray for the 22nd series, I only have two good reliable observations for 23rd series 356, John Peterson's (CT) 48 Custom 8 club sedan, a rather stunningly original car, the engine of which was gray and surely looked untouched, and my own 23rd series Custom 8 sedan.

Just to clutter things a bit, the factory-reconditioned engine blocks were painted "Crane Gray" for many years, perhaps up into the postwar era.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have always believed that gray is the correct color for 22nd Series Custom 8 engines. None of the 6 that I have direct experience with showed any signs of green paint. The only exception was one that showed traces of red paint but this was a replacement engine with no serial number. I have heard that red was the color used by the factory for replacement engines.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 14:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My own 22nd series Custom 8 sedan, a very early car sold on Christmas day 1947, had a green engine. It also had the trademarks of other very early Customs, painted (not chrome) headlight bezels, and 1947-style patent plate and front sway bar. It was car# 124.

Could be that Packard went from gray to red for replacement engines after the war, not a topic on which there is much original documentation. Also never found much documentation on how either the factory or the installing dealer dealt with engine numbers for replacement motors. Factory reconditioned (as opposed to new) engines in the 30s still carried the original motor number but I understand a suffix of some sort was added, and perhaps some other info stamped like date, etc. This whole topic is really ripe for some research and better understanding.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 14:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved