Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 190

Packard Don, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 29 »

Re: Carl's 1952 Packard 300
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Unlike earlier models, there is no gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds at the heatbox.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 15:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Carl,

Had the intake/exhaust manifold assembly for the '41 machined as a complete unit last year.

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Wednesday 2nd July 2008........picked up the manifold which had about 2mm, or about 0.080", taken off the block faces to remove the irregularities present.......

Attach file:

jpg  (22.96 KB)
226_4a03467e81fe7.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (21.16 KB)
226_4a0347caa7d72.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2009/5/7 15:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unlike earlier models, there is no gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds at the heatbox.

Thanks for posting that. Lack of a gasket sure sounds cheap, did they make any other provision for sealing between the two?

Posted on: 2009/5/7 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Got the water pump off and the water distributing tube out, no real problem except one broken water pump stud.

The tube has a dent in it that looks very suspicious. Could that be a valve coming up and making contact inside the motor, or damage from a previous rebuilder when they removed it 20 years ago?

The reason I say it looks suspicious; it has a series of impressions, all in a similar area, very precise.

Ideas? Should I stop everything and pull the head?

Attach file:

jpg  (97.49 KB)
471_4a058b08ba90c.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (102.07 KB)
471_4a058b212ca78.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (86.44 KB)
471_4a058c81eb10c.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2009/5/9 8:54
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Until proven otherwise, I'd vote for damage during install or while laying on a workbench before. Would shine a light down passage and see if anything obvious, but can't think of anything that would damage in place without you having water mixed with everything and the resulting symptoms.

I don't know what your original plans for the engine were or how many miles or how well it runs. After going to all this trouble of fixing things and what you're finding, think I would seriously consider the look see. I wouldn't be surprised to see the valves in need of service if there's many miles on it. If the engine has low miles and runs great (aside from the exhaust leak heard on video), then maybe not.

EDIT: I note the dent is right in line with the core plug and appears to be on side facing it. Don't remember for sure if the cylinders are siamesed--think narrowed but there's just enough space to get an object thru--like a long drift. That might be a possibility for the damage if someone was trying to get sediment out. That plug does look as if it might have been replaced compared to one on left of it.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The usual way to remove a rusty leaky frost plug is to drive a punch through it and pry it out.

Could the dent have been made by such a punch?

The dent does not look deep enough to have any effect on water flow. It looks like some kind of accidental damage but is not serious enough to impair the use of the tube. I would ignore it if I were you. Put the tube back in and it will be fine.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 14:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Will do! No damage to the tube, I'll straighten it out and reinstall. Thanks everyone!

Posted on: 2009/5/9 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Today I was successful using a welder to remove the broken stud on the water pump, but it didn't work on the recessed broken stud for the exhaust manifold. The stud is broken 1/8 into the head, so the welds wouldn't hold.

I'm going to buy a stud extractor tomorrow and try to drill a hole in the dead center of the stud. I'll use a center punch and a small drill bit initially.

Additionally I'm going to pull the tranny oil pan, because I think it has a hole in it and I want to weld it before I have to return the rental welder. $65 for the day, 120v Miller, wire feed.

Additionally I welded a bracket that was broken on the left fender. Lots of bead, lots of grinding. High school welding class was 23 years ago.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Carl, if your weld doesn't hold I have a trans pan for the early Ultramatic that I won't be needing.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Can I / should I create a hi temp gasket between intake / exhaust manifold? Will it seal better - my goal is to make this car as quite as possible.

Eric- thanks, I'll try the weld and let you know.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 0:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved