Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
270 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 269

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Pump - Stewart Warner #407 - 1932
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Does anyone know of a source for a Stewart Warner type 407 fuel pump used on a '32?

I've been looking for one for the past two years with no luck.

The castings for these are made out of die cast metal similar to the bowls on the Detroit Lubricator carburetor and they don't stand up very well over time.

If anyone has any of the castings for the pump, either upper or lower I can reverse engineer them and have them cast in bronze. If I can find a sample of the pump arm that can be cast also. All other required parts I can machine, and I have a source for a rebuild kit (diaphragm + small parts).

I can work from broken or cracked parts by building a 3D CAD file from the part and then using that to make the pattern to cast from. The cast part is then machined.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Posted on: 2009/6/8 11:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Pump - Stewart Warner #407 - 1932
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Dave-

Have you checked with Tom at Then and Now? He deals with fuel pumps every day, may know of a source.

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm

781-335-8860

Remember, he usually just sells rebuild kits and rebuilds the fuel pumps sent to him, but it may be a starting point.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 12:25
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does anyone know of a source for a Stewart Warner type 407 fuel pump used on a '32?

Only one I've seen in many, many years sold at Hershey last year in the booth right behind the PAC tent. They are quite rare, be prepared to spend $700 or more for a good one. I doubt any of the usual vendors will have one, I'd start by contacting all the owners of 32 cars in the PAC directory and hopefully one of them might have a spare they're willing to sell.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave,
to PackardInfo and I wish you goodluck in your search for the fuel pump.

I'd also like to invite you to please include your '32 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 17:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Only one I've seen in many, many years sold at Hershey last year in the booth right behind the PAC tent. They are quite rare, be prepared to spend $700 or more for a good one. I doubt any of the usual vendors will have one, I'd start by contacting all the owners of 32 cars in the PAC directory and hopefully one of them might have a spare they're willing to sell.

That was me. I bought the pump which I just happened to stumble upon it. I got it for a decent price ($400)considering it was also rebuilt. I haven't put it on my car yet as I have to replumb the line, but it's for sale for $10,000.

I believe one just sold on Ebay recently and the bottom casting was cracked.

I believe most replacements used an AC pumps with the pump lever modified. That's what I currently run. Gould maybe able to get you an AC pump. The current owner indicated that they use to modify the AC pumps. He won't rebuild and Stewart Warner pumps.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Actually just found a broken one on Ebay.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Congrats! Good find.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 21:07
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I'm still looking for the correct cutout regulator for a 32 or least the replacement Eichlin that is also out of stock.

I got one but I belive it's for a earlier Packard than 32.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 22:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Send me an email (axmanj@170220.com) and picture reference and I'll check in my stuff I have pulled off my 1936 120B (if the same); sorry, haven't learned enough yet to be dangerous about these cars. I am going with a 58 amp Alternator upgrade on my restoration..even though the originality police will probably hunt me down for a ticket...but I have spent too many years following the rules of OEM on these functional items and now more into upgrading with improved technology for a driver only.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 3:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Wow!

Thanks to all for the fantastic response. I had a hunch this pump was rare based on the difficulty I had finding it anywhere.

If anyone needs a source to replace the top half casting of the Stewart Warner 407 pump I've found a source that manufactures the casting out of bronze, and then cadmium plates it. A few years ago I re-built a pump for a friend and used the casting to replace the top half that was cracked. The replacement fit and has worked fine. I've attached a file that shows the current source.

Since I can get the internal re-build parts all I have to do is find a sample of the three main castings, upper, lower, and pump arm to use as patterns for new castings.

I'll see it I can dig up some pictures of the SW 407 pump to send to Taxman.

I have an original Owen-Dyneto regulator that I can take some pictures of for tbirdman.

I also have a roster of all model 901's I've run across over the last 10 years. May be an interesting post for later.

I've taken some pictures of the Packard section from a 1931 MOTORS manual I have. They are about 1.8M in size each, and about 10 photos. Also have info from a 1930 MOTORS brake manual with detailed info on adjusting the Packard Bendix three shoe system.

Should I send these to bigkev@packardinfo.com for possible WEB site data?

Thanks again,

Dave

Attach file:

pdf Size: 142.10 KB; Hits: 163

Posted on: 2009/6/11 11:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved